Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discover on Ip Phones 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

magix2kewl

Vendor
Apr 3, 2005
US
I am attempting to use a Netgear FVS318 at both ends to connect a 5610 to a 406 or an SOE, etc. The phone will pull the files from TFTP server and then go into a discover mode when attempting to connect to the IP Office. I am only having this problem with Netgear, Sonicwall and Fortinet routers have worked fine. The ports I am pointing at the IP Office are 1718-1720 and 1731 for audio call control. Is there anything else I am missing?

I have very same results when using 4606 with netgear fvs318 v3 on both ends. Has anybody made an ip phone work with these netgear routers. And if so, did you have to enable any ports?

Well, I have a ticket in with AVAYA so I guess we'll fix this one the hard way. I will let you know what I turn up.

Sometimes firewalls are also picky not only of where the traffic is going, but from which ports. I don't know if this could help you, but the traffic to the 1719 UDP port comes from port 49300 (46xx phones, Phone Manager seems to use a similar range to the 1720 range, possibly 56xx phones too), and the traffic to port 1720 TCP is a random port in the 1500-6500 range. This is only for H323 reigistering and signaling. Also allow the ports for the actual RTP audio, which are in the range of 49152-53247 (configurable in Manager since 3.1), coming from a random port in the range 4000-10000.

I've never seen port 1731 being used. Check out the 4600 Series IP Telephone Administration Guide PDF file at avaya.com for more port info. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

I have had the same situation that you are describing in your post...I have set up a VPN tunnel with the Netgear VPN routers (538 and 318 models) I assume you have a VPN tunnel as well (you did not mention)...I have had this problem for months without any resolution. Please tell me if you have any more information that will resolve this situation.

Thanks!

Yes I have a vpn, I can watch the tftp log using pcanywhere. And the 4606 phone downloads the .scr and other files, but when it comes to grabbing an extension, all I get is the discover message on the phone. I will play with the ports mentioned above next week.

Actually I have stated the ports that I forwarded although theoretically this should not even matter because the VPN should allow all traffic from one network to the other. I have monitored a setup message on the LAN and it uses ports 1576 and 1615 but i do not get that traffic across the VPN. I am escalating this to Tier 3 at Netgear... Stay tuned.

Magix. is right the tunnel should be totally open to all ports.

Magix are you running a domain controller at your office? I have seen an error in my tftp log that may be a coincidence or the cause...The error states that it cannot process the BootP device for the IP address (the address is the Microsoft SBSserver2000).

So the question to you is are you seeing the same unable to process Bootp request from another device other than the IP hardphone?

Also, do you require me to put in a ticket a Netgear to put pressure on them to show that this error is affecting not just you but many other people?

Please advise...and please keep us posted.

I have had success with 2 fvx114 netgear routers, but was unsuccessful with their top of the line FVX538 unit. I would guess by the sounds of it you are having the same problem I had, the conversation with the IP phone was one way only, ie the gateway could not talk back to the phone.

One way to check if your problem is the same as mine is go into the 318 diagnostics page and with the ping option try and ping the remote the router IP address, when i tried this on the 538 unit it failed yet from a LAN PC I could ping the remote router with no problem which meant the VPN connection was up and running.

My setup now is as follows

Office LAN
Netgear FVX538 router providing internet access for the LAN
Netgear FVX114 router setup with its own public IP to use for VPN connections only.
Static route setup on the 538 routing the remote addresses to the fvx114 unit.

Remote end
DLINK adsl modem
Netgear FVX114 router

VPN running between both 114 units, just plug in the phone and bingo everything worked ok first time.

I have tried the VPN with both static IP's at both ends and also static IP at one end and dynamic at the remote end and both worked the same.

My conclusion is their is a bug in the 538 which I am guessing is also present in your 318 units.

Need more info just shout and I can pass on the actual config for you to use.

Well guys,

Tier 3 from Netgear and AVAYA both are involved now. Actually Netgear submitted the problem to the engineers. It may require a firmware revision. When I monitored the IP Office it seems the phone uses random ports to request a setup message however the destination port is always 1719. If the phone is on the lan traffic is fine but when I monitor the Ip Office with the phone through the vpn it never get their. I even put a packet sniffer on the remote end and you see the RAS messages go out and nothing come back... Will let you know.

I knew something was not right with the VPN tunnel...kudos to you Magix2kewl for persisting!

Hope they are working on it the fix...I have been tripped up on this problem for months.

I'm having the same issue using an FVS328 at the host and FVS318v3 at remotes. Curious to see what Avaya and Netgear come up with!

I've had lots of head aches with netgears lately and these types of issues. Their routers have different operating systems on them and are really totally different devices depending on the model number.

Ok guys here is the latest from netgear,

Their engineer writes "

Currently, engineering is working on an issue of using H.323 with FVS318v3. I think this may be related to your problem.
The issue has been marked with highest priority so should be addressed urgently.

Are you just using FVS318v3?

From the link you provided, it seems the problem is also being reported on the FVX538.
On the FVX538, there is an option to disable the H.323 alg on the router. I know it resolves similar issues sometimes.
It is done from the CLI with command "/config/algs/disable h323".
If you also use FVX538 or FVS338, you may try this workaround.

The link also mention FVS114 seems to work. So, FVS328, FVL328 or FWG114P should also work if they are possible alternative.

I will let you know once I get more feedback from engineering "

So I guess unless you have a 318 you hjave a work around - if it is a 318 stay tuned and when I get an answer I will let you know.

Magix2kewl

Thanks for your diligence Magix2kew. I have five 318v3 spread around, looking forward to your next post.

Thanks again for your persistance Magix3kewl.

Can I ask you how to do this on the netgear router?
"It is done from the CLI with command "/config/algs/disable h323"."

What command line interface are they referring to? I didn't know there was a CLI on the netgear routers?

Please advise on this and the 318 as that is the remote end for all the remote ip hardphones with 538 as the main VPN router...

Thanks again for the info...

TC

TC

To access the CLI interface on the FVX538 just use telnet.

Eg, if the router LAN address is 10.0.0.1 then in a dos window type telnet followed by return then type open 10.0.0.1 and press return

you are then asked for your login and password (same as the web access page and you are now in the CLI interface of the 538.

Hope this helps, I am going to try the H323 disable command and see what happens, although I am sure I have already tried this and it had no effect, however that could have been with an earlier firmware, perhaps the .49 firmware version will work better.

Thanks millions MCCIT...I will report back as to my results.

TC

By the way newbie, If you are trying to use a 318 at one end you'll still have to wait for the new firmware;-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back