Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

digital phones and vcm

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrael2000

Technical User
Jun 10, 2008
CA
Hi all.

Need a little refresh on the IP Office VCM's on combo cards.

When an IP phone is calling out over an analog line, it uses the vcm's within the combo card / cards, correct?

I have a customer who is reporting poor call quality, and after doing testing with the customer network tech, making sure QoS is on their switches, and the phone vlan's are correct, they still say they have poor call quality.

I had my tech plug a digital 14xx phone into the unit and call in and out. I was advised that all of the calls were "crystal clear".

Do the digital phones use the vcm's on the combo cards the same as an IP set?

Regards

Incorrect.

A VCM is only used to translate from Digital/Analogue to IP, it has no involvement in an analogue or digital phone if they are calling each other or calling out via an analogue or digital line.

If an analogue or digital phone makes a call over SIP that uses a VCM channek, or if a digital/analogue phone calls an IP phone that would use a VCM channel.

Edit - ignore my first word :) - I read it as Digital and combo and missed the IP phone part.

Yes - an IP phone would use a VCM channel on the combo card if going out via an analogue line.

| ACSS SME |

I'm not sure what release you are working with, but IP Phones calling out over analog lines have historically had bad call quality. I wouldn't even sell that solution. If they want analog lines, get digital phones. If they want IP phones, get SIP or a PRI at the least.

Agree with Telecomboy. VCM in the earlier releases of IPO were faulty at best. I would recommend getting to at least v9.1 if planning on deploying a solution that heavily relies on VCM.

Direct media ?

ACSS (UC/SBCE/SM/SME)

Not that they mean a thing anymore , get a brain dump pass the test crash the system.

Hi All.

CASSBusinessSystems: I'm running 11.0.0.1.0 build 8.
montyzummer: I'll try changing the direct media path and see what that does for me.

Regards

If you advise to change direct media path then you need some more study on VoIP as it is only used for VoIP to VoIP calls.
There are litterally hundreds of threads here regarding VoIP and analog lines, those two together appears to be a bad idea and it is better to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back