Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

difference between v90&v92

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i've been sold a computer and told it had a 56kpci rock/motorola voicefax data intel v92 however in the sys manager it says something different. how can i find out.

Well first of the Difference between V.90/V.92 is Supposed to be (I think) Transfer Speeds. Unfortunatly most ISP services dont support V.92. V.90 is the current technology. The best way to find out what you have is to take the modem out of the PC and look at it. If you get into warrenty issues with this. Take it to where you got it and make them show you. In todays computer market it is easy to "confuse" customers and trick them into thinking they have something they dont.

By system Manger you mean DEVICE MANAGER correct? What exactlu does it say? Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

The difference between v.90 and v.92 is uplink speed. v.90 supports a maximum of 33600bps uplink, whereas v.92 supports 48000bps uplink connection speed. Your download speeds will remain the same as the downstream connection speeds are unchanged.

Michael Wesson
MCP

Here's a complete explanation of V.92
The problem is, if your ISP doesn't support it, there's no point in using it. v.90 is plenty until the ISP's catch up with the technology. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back