Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference Between Raid Mobo and Non-Raid Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Whats the difference between raid motherboards and non-raid motherboards? for example...the new Abit KG7 Raid ($180.00) and the Abit KG7 ($130.00) And why are there 50 bucks apart?

I used to have a regular K7 non raid, then I had upgraded to the K7 Raid. Maybe I'm blind, or stupid, but my husband and I really can't tell the difference. My advice? Take that extra 50 bucks and buy yourself something nice...s-) clgx299@earthlink.net
I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

The on-board Raid allows you to have a RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives) setup without having to use a separate controller card, which is how it is normally acomplished.

If you are not intending to setup multiple drives with Mirroring/Striping, then it is of no use to you and you will be wasting you money. Chris

Oh! If only I knew then what I know now.

Apart from providing RAID functionality, a RAID motherboard allows you to connect four more EIDE devices (hard disk, CD/DVD-ROMs, LS-120 drives etc). This increases the total number of EIDE devices, that can be connected, from four to eight, double the capacity of a non-RAID motherboard...

oh ok i understand now. Just more ide drives then. My Asus a7v can handle up to 8 ide devices also. But when i connect the hardrive (WD 7200 rpm ata/100) into the 100 ata port...it wont work...only on the ata 66. So i just left it on ata 66, would i even see the difference from ata 100 and ata 66?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back