Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Precision 670 Extra CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvolMonster

Programmer
Aug 14, 2006
GB
Hiya All

I have a dell precision 670 workstation, with a 3ghz Xeon processor.
It has a place on the mobo for another processor.
I was wondering, do I need to get the same processor thats already in there?

I.e., same GHZ, same core etc?

Or can I go for a bigger processor.

Also, I am trying to make a gaming PC out of this, and am getting a Geforce8800GTS graphics card.
Does anyone know anything about these Dell workstations?
Do they make good gaming PCs? or am I better off starting again with a new dualcore based PC?

Cheers
DB

In dual-CPU configs you HAVE to MATCH EXACTLY the CPUs in as many ways as possible, some say lot#'s and sequential serial numbers but I know that's bunk, you just want them to be as identical as possible, i.e. model #, clock speed, mfg process etc. You may need to add the CPU tray & must match the VRM.

Go to Dell's Website & supply your service tag number...it will give you all the part numbers required for your upgrade...I hope.

Tony

Ahhh, good idea!
I'll take a look at that one.

What is a CPU tray by the way?

Dual Xeon's would make a excellent gaming machine maybe even a bit of a over kill

I was thinking that it'd be a good machine.

I mean, a new 3ghz Xeon processor is going for about £150, so to take the PC up to a 6ghz machine, thats not bad is it!

Only thing is, its only got one PCI-E slot, so its got a limited graphics life i'd say...

Perhaps an 8800gtx(640mb)
most DX9 games like BF2 BF2142 WOW are base tested on nvidia 6 series vid cards so they preform very well with 8 series cards on high settings

I was going to get a 8800GTS this time around (320mb).
Or perhaps even a radeon 1950xt (512mb)...

I only have around £200 to spend on a card at the minute.

Are thay DX10 compatable? Incase I want to get Vista.

You wont be disapointed with a GTS I'm using one with an X2
and are more than happy can't comment on the ati card mainly use nvidia(yep to DX10)

The only DX10 cards available now are nVidia 8000-series and ATI 2000-series. So yes to your nVidia and no to the ATI listed. However, you don't have to have a DX10 card to go to Vista. Vista does have DX10, but there's only a handful of games that actually have DX10 support at the moment (though of course that will change). But there's no issues with running a DX9 card with Vista, even under gaming. I do it with an ATI X1950 Pro.

Another quick question

looking at prices, its looking like a toss between :

8800GTS 640MB
ATI 2900 XT 512MB

They are nearly the same sort of spec. Anyone have any preferences wither way?

Cheers!

8800GTS 640MB, there is no comparison with the ATI, and I just read a review of the ATI, it was humbled by the 8800, although I'm not sure about the "GTS" part...it's alphabet soup and I can't keep up. I just know the 8800 is the king of the world right now.

Caveat: Both cards are power-hungry, make sure your PSU is up to the task. The second processor will need more power too. has Dell replacements, but only up to 470 Watt. Again, see what Dell has to say about the power requirements of the dual Xeon.

Tony

The 2900XT is generally faster than the 8800GTS, but the 8800GTX is the top dog. ATI also just released a 2900Pro which is roughly the same speed and price as an 8800GTS 320MB card.

GTX is the top (overkill as Crysis is the only game out this year designed for that level of graphics), then its GTS, then ATI... I have heard that the GTS is very good across the board.

You will need at least 800W power supply to drive that card and two xeons. If you go with an SLI compatible power supply, you may get two graphics card connectors, which the 8800 needs (saves on extra wires).

I am very happy with my 8800 and would recommend it to anyone.

Thats brilliant!

Thanks guys!

What I might do is get the 8800GTS 640mb for now.

I THINK I have a 600watt power supply in the Dell, which I believe is the standard?

I guess they made it that big to cope with 2 processors. But they obviously didn't think about the graphics card being massive.

I thought I'd be ok with the processor and Graphics, on a 600watt PSU, but you guys really think I'll need 800Watts?

Any PSU's rating is an estimate based on perfect conditions, in other words going downhill with a tailwind. If your PSU is 85% efficient at operating temps (which is pretty good) then you're looking at 510 watts. The first thing to do would be to try it and see if it works, if you get random shutdowns under load it's probably under-powered. The online power supply calculator that I ran came in close to 500 watts, but it's a guessing game with those calculators and workstations, not knowing the exact model number of the MB and CPUs. I would research each of the above components for exact wattage & amperage draw.

Another way to get around power shortages is to get a smaller power supply just for the GFX card, set up a momentary-contact switch between "On" & "Ground".

just make sure the two PSU's share a common ground or earth, usually the case itself or at the wall, or both.

Tony

Thanks for that Guys.

It sounds to me like the PSU will be big enough. I've run a few calculators myself, and it all seems ok.

One thing that does disturb me though, I've read on another forum that my 3ghz Xeon processor would not work as well as a newer dual core intel processor.
Even if I got another Xeon the same, the newer processors would still kill it!

Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Thanks
DB

That's probably true, assuming that the dual core CPU is in the 2.5-2.6 GHz range. But to go that route you'd probably need all new parts in several areas. I didn't see your entire system spec in the post, but I'm assuming that would be at least a CPU + mainboard upgrade, and probably RAM as well.

Really?!

Now I didn't think of that!
That'll save me quite a bit of money.

Looking at the specs, I'm not sure if that processor goes in my motherboard. It may be an ugrade.

Bearing in mind that this PC is around 5 years old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back