Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Inspiron 1300 slow down 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tal001

Technical User
Aug 28, 2008
US
I have a Dell iInspiron 1300 with 1.3 Celeron M Win XP Pro. I changed the DVD drive while the machine is still on! Now, it take a long time to bbot, it runs very slow. I checked task maanger the CPU run at 100% a lots of time with either AVG * or system idle in process, no program run on program check. All programs run noticeable slower with high CPU usage, one example, sound becomes scratchy most of the time when paly a video. I update the bios, scan with AVG all OK. Any suggestion will be great. Does laptop has button battery? Could it be low? Did I short something? The DVD works fine, everything runs just sloThanks

In addition to installing the new DVD drive did you install software so that you could use the drive? This burning software could really slow your system down. Especially if your laptop has 512 MB of memory or less.

Also, remove the DVD drive and then turn your laptop back on. Does it run faster without the drive? Maybe your laptop lacks the hardware specs to support the drive. In todays world...that's a pretty slow laptop.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your help. It's a slow laptop for sure but it becomes much slower after the incident. The burning software is Nero old version that was install before the drive change out, it's a Compact DVD which reads disc fine. I upgrade the RAM to 1G before this also.

Well, one thing is sure, one never removes IDE devices while they are powered on... that can really whack a system...

Go to the Device Manager, expand the IDE Controllers, uninstall the PRIMARY and SECONDARY IDE Controller, then REBOOT and let Windows reinstall them...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hi BadBigBen,

Your fix did the trick. PC is back to normal now. Thanks a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back