Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Degrading voice quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelcoCraig

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2004
US
I have had a problem come up a couple of times in the last couple months where callpilot voice quality degrades rapidly over a day or 2 until it's unusable. It sounds like a DSP problem - messages (both incoming and outgoing) sound "underwater" and very tinny moving along to just plain garbled. A reboot resolves the problem. Has anyone had similar problems and has there been a Pep to fix it?

switch type and rls and cp rls?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

That might help, eh?

CP is 4.0 (SU01 I think - I don't have access to the box for a couple of days). It's a 703T platform CP. Switch is M1/CS1000 but I don't have all the switch rls info offhand either. Once I get back onsite I'll update again - I was just hoping it was a common problem someone may have had recently...

I don't usually deal with CP other than app-builder - I do Symposium scripts mostly but our PBX/CP admin quit a little while back and hasn't been replaced yet. So talk slowly and use simple words :)

-Craig

We had the same issue on CP 4.0 . This is a fairly new install , up about 3 months . Also running SCCS 4.2 and Option 81c on 3.0 . Likewise a reboot resolved the issue but that doesn't get me a warm fuzzy that this was a one time thing . Our quality went from a few garbled messages to finally the voice mail lady sounding like she was on helium . Local BS support had not seen this before , and agreed that a reboot was needed .

Ran into this last month and had to get Nortel support involved. Turned out to be a grounding issue on the PBX would degrade the DSP over time, usually 3-4 days or less under heavy usage. Fixed the grounding problem, no more problem.

It might be something to check into

i saw the same thing, but not on that scale.. i did a scheduled down time and reloaded my voice prompts.. do not know if just a reboot would have sobered up the lady in the box...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

johnpoole, the first time it happened Nortel had our vendor reload the prompts (which didn't make sense to me since the the incoming messages were affected too, but we didn't have a better answer...) and it came back a month later. Of course with Microsoft patches coming out so much maybe it won't need to be up more than a month for a while... :)

yyrkroon, I'll have the guys check grounding but we're usually pretty good about that stuff. Never know when someone will forget to tighten a lug though...

Make sure when you checking the grounding that you power the system completely off...PBX, CP...the whole enchilada.

Our tech was metering the system with it on and it was within spec, but Nortel didn't like that and flew a guy out to site to power the system down and when he metered the system with the power off...BIG difference on the meter.

Fixed the grounding issue...no more complaints or problems

i agree that reloading was a non-issue, but in the early rls's, if you had a mailbox you couldn't delete and had to call nortel, they had you reload lang.. i think that was froa, reload lang and then press 1

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

FYI , Nortel has issued a PEP to resolve the garbled voice issue . We wil be installing this PEP tonight . CP404S01G18S: Q01241548 All calls have digitized or Garbled Voice
There is also another PEP that must be installed first ; CP40404SU01S now becomes a prerequisite for installing all future PEPs on CP4.0 .
Wish us luck !

Let me know how it goes. I just got word of the same PEP and will be applying it Friday.

We installed the pep on Wednesday night , so far everything is working very well .We had to install 2 peps and a new version of the Application Builder .SU number: CP40404SU01S CallPilot Server Software CP4.0 SU01 and 1. PEP Number: CP404S01G18S . 01 was a prerequisite patch that included the new app builder . We also installed a Microsoft security patch ( this weeks version ) .Total time from start to finish was about 40 minutes , including reboots .
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back