Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expression

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
GB
Hi
I am running XP professional, I recently tried to defrag the hard drives only for defrag within seconds stating it cannot start no matter which drive I try to defrag.
I have also tried in safe mode with no change.
I assume the defrag program is corrupted, if this is the case is it possible to re-install just defrag if so how?
Or any other ideas?

Regards
Johh

I suspect that there is program running that accesses the hard drive even in safe mode. Have you tried a third-party program. I've gotten better results from DIRMS ( than the built in defragger.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Hi 2ffat
I have downloaded the program that you suggested but will not run, says possibly firewall preventing access to port 138.
I wonder if its the same problem?
I am using Zone Alarm but I cannot see any thing about ports any where. XP fire wall is turned off.
Thanks you for trying to help
Regards
John

Possible reasons for not being able to use 'Defrag'.

1) Lack of hard drive space.
If the hard drives are low on space then 'defrag' will not have sufficient free space to move files around during the 'defrag'. The XP default is to warn the user when there is 10% or less hard disk space left but 'defrag' can fail if there is less than 15% free space. See if you can use the 'Disk Cleanup' wizard to free up space.

2) Problem with drive.
If there is a problem with the file/folder structure or damaged sectors on the hard drive then this can cause 'defrag' to not run. To check, enter 'CHKDSK /F' in the 'Start > Run' dialog and click 'Y' when asked whether to schedule the check the next time the system restarts.

3) Damaged/missing system files.
Make sure you have the XP installation CD handy or the installation files stored locally then enter 'SFC /SCANNOW' in the 'Start > Run' dialog. The System File Checker will check for damaged/missing system files and replace them if needed.

Are these drive formatted with FAT32 or NTFS? Are there any related errors in 'Event Viewer'. Are there any processes running that could be holding files open even in safe mode? (Use Process Explorer from SysInternals to check - see
Hope this helps...

Does the "Analyze" phase complete if run first?

Have you tried a different Administrative user in Normal Mode?

How to provide event logging for the Disk Defragmenter utility with Windows Script Host

Disk Defragmenter Limitations in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003

You could try running ChkDsk /r away from the Windows environment by using the Recovery Console to run it.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

There was a bug a couple of years ago where ZoneAlarm was causing problems with ChkDsk, perhaps it has resurfaced with Defrag?

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy. This is the XP program that fixes corrupt files.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Hmm. It appears that they made a major change to their program since I downloaded it. DirMS-S requires that port to be open ( I don't know why but I suspect for registration purposes (
The command line version doesn't need it.

Linney has some good ideas.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back