Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Defragment

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Any clues why Disk Defrag won't work? 70% free space on HDD. DCOM Service is set. Hasn't worked for a while, been using Defraggler. I'd like to get Win 7 working again (back-ground defrag). Tried Auslogics, and it took too long. The problem I'm having, is that the best defrag I can get is 37%! It used to be that after a defrag, I would be left with 2 - 3 % fragmentation. Any ideas, or should I even worry about it?

As noted - I did try "built in ADMINISTRATOR" - didn't help at all.

If it becomes enough of a problem that you every consider reinstalling Windows in order to fix it then you can try this procedure shortly before any reinstall attempt.

Use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings. (See the Warnings in the article).

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

"Beginning with Windows Vista, the method to apply the security during operating system setup changed. Specifically, security settings consisted of settings defined in deftbase.inf augmented by settings applied by the operating installation process and server role installation. Because there is no supported process to replay the permissions made by the operating system setup, the use of the “secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose” command line is no longer capable of resetting all security defaults and may even result in the operating system becoming unstable. "

Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions

These you already know about.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (or Vista or Win 7)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Add encrypted files to the list of possible reasons for Access Denied.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows:

Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically

What about trying the free trial version of this deluxe (read expensive) Defragmenter?

Think I'll give up for a while. A new program "Smart Defrag 2" seems to do better. It leaves 1% to 2% fragments.
BTW, when using Windows Defrag, I don't get any error messages... just nothing happens! (both exe, and command line)
Now to clean all of the residuals of the other Defragment programs out. For instance: O&O Defrag still has some background programs running - after I removed it, ran CCleaner, and ran a registry cleaner!

>> O&O Defrag still has some background programs running

Shouldn't have... hmmm, I'll see tomorrow when I'm at work, that is my test machine ( ;) ), if indeed O&O still has processes running after deinstallation, then I am going to run a fuzz up with their support...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

It's OK. I had to do a "deep" uninstall to get rid of all vestiges of O&O.
Revo , CCleaner, and Registry. O&O doesn't give up easily!

OK, program did not misbehave on my work PC...
it was a flawless uninstall, no remnants left over running in the background...
the only thing it left over was the Registration Wizard registry entry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\O&O)...

which makes me believe that something odd is going on with your OS...

Ben

after I removed it, ran CCleaner, and ran a registry cleaner! "
I used a couple different registry cleaner on a couple of Win 7 machines, both serverely messed up the Win 7 setups; both needing a reinstall. Never had issues with Win xp or lower versions, on which I must of run registry cleaners hundreds of times.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I've run CCleaner on my Win7 laptop several times with no problems. Very odd.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

I use a registry cleaner called "EUsing". Not as aggressive as some, but can be run with no damage. Besides, I always run "ERUNT" (registry back-up), before I do anything!
BTW, O&O is completely gone now. A couple of cleanings, and reboots, O&O finally figured that it wasn't wanted! <grin>

>> A couple of cleanings, and reboots, O&O finally figured that it wasn't wanted! <grin>
but it should have been gone at the first uninstall!!! thus something else might be causing issues, that manifest themselves in the odd behavior that the defrags show...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back