Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defaulting a G3R V6/V8 system. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

netechsys

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2005
US
I just inherited a few G3’s and only have limited access. The V6 system, I have no passwords. For the V8, I am waiting for the passwords, but I do not know what passwords are still around?

Is there a way to default the system back to nothing, and reset the options of the switch without having Avaya do it? Be kind, since it has been 6-7 years since I have worked on an Lucent/Avaya system.

If I default the system back, is there any way of getting the default init password to re-option the switch?

Thanks

Netechsys

I don't think I would start from scratch. If it has been a while since you have played with a G3, then what is there can be used a guide to help you program what you need to porgram. Then just remove what you don't need. As for the passwords, Avaya will turn on or reset a "cust" password without maintenance permissions for around $200.00 (I think it is). If you want MSP's turned on you will need a maintenance agreement with Avaya or an Avaya business partner to get those.

Mike Jones
Louisiana State University Health Sciences center

There is but you would have to re-program the entire switch. In order to do this you would reboot the system and bring it up without the flash card. When it comes up you can login using default passwords. Craft is almost always crftpw1. It doesn't do you much good if you don't have the INIT password. For a 6.x G3 there were several different INIT passwords all based on the release. How do I get in touch with you to get the version? I can send the passwords to you.

BH

bhanson184,

the hitch is, there is no flash card in g3r system. it uses internal hard disk drive and magneto-optical backup drive. so the only way i see for this is to obtain somehow a clean formatted mo disk and restore empty translations from it. the problem is, i don't think these disks are available preformatted for r6 or r8, and you can't use plain clean disk.
truth to say, i don't know any way to default g3r other than call avaya for help.

BHanson184/Dwalin,

Thanks for the input.

BH, You can contact me @ phones at cgstogo dot com.

-NetechSys

BH
Please contact me also, if you would be so kind @ dknopp at swbell dotte net.

I hesitate to get involved, but I feel the need to warn you of the risk involved. Once you crack a switch with the INIT password and re-option the PBX, you violate software use agreement and Avaya considers it a "Gray" system. Avaya will not assist you with any issues on a Gray system, put it under maintenance, or provide an upgrade unless you re-purchase all the software right to use associated with the system. This applys even if you owned the system to begin with. It's not an issue that Avaya takes lightly.

Of course this does involve Avaya, but it might solve your problems. If you know where the systems were orginally installed, then Avaya probably has the passwords in their database. You could call Avaya and pay them $200 bucks to reset your cust password. They will not reset the craft password for you or give it to you.
What you tell Avaya is important. If you bought the system, then technically you only own the software if you bought a entire company. If you only bought the pbx from a company, then you only own the hardware. If the pbx was always owned the pbx, then you own both.
So anyway, you wouldn't have to default if you have always owned it, only get Avaya to reset the password.
As infered before, using init passwords is violation of federal law and can lead to procecution. I don't care about it, I am only warning all of you cuz our prisons are already full, and I have to pay for the 'guests' 'three hots and a cot'.

Da-vi'do Juan-is'imo
P.S. For the best response to a question, read FAQ222-2244. Also give the type & version of your voice mail & pbx & preview your post to make sure it is complete & understandable. Please answer all questions so that I may have the info to assist you. Leaving a post on how you fixed the problem will also be appreciated.

I knew Avaya was heavily cracking down on Gray Market, but I did not know they where proseucting individuals (as is their right under their software use terms). I have seen them go after business hacking the init on PBXs though. Be careful.

Is there a link to follow the prosecution of some poor sot by AVAYA? I find that to be quite incredible that AVAYA would go to that extent. I have heard that AVAYA attempts to take to old equipment after an Upgrade to S8xxx Media Gateways. They claim it is a condition of the upgrade (like you got a discount)to trade in the old stuff. All the while they are just trying to prevent resale.

Rel.6 to 8 are great systems for those companies not interested in IP. Of course this guy's G3s will probably only last him another 20 to 25 years. By that time we will be operating off "dial hum" and the G3 really will be obsolete. Cheers

SirRono

Ok, I have finally gotten into the office. The switch is a G3V6i.03.1.230.6. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

NetechSys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back