Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Value in ComboBox Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slocat

Programmer
Jun 18, 2001
US
Most of our reports are based on a fiscal year and we have a number of forms which require the user to select the fiscal year from a dropdown list. The contents of the list come from the following code in the "Row Source" field of the Properties dialog box:
Code:
SELECT FiscalYears.FiscYear FROM FiscalYears ORDER BY FiscalYears.FiscYrKey DESC;
The "Default Value" property is hardcoded to the current fiscal year value ("03-04"). This means I have to go in and change the default value every year. I am trying to automate this process. I have a query (qryFiscalYear) that compares the current date to the StartDate and EndDate fields in the Fiscal Year table and produces the current fiscal year as a result. My problem is getting this result into the Default Value property. I have tried several approaches and either get no devault value, or a #Name error.
I have tried everything I could find in my books, as well as this forum and nothing I've found has worked. I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have!

Thanks for your time!

Hi slocat,

I've had similar problems in the past and never fully understood why but it should work if you set the default value to something like this:

Code:
=DLookup(&quot;FiscYear&quot;,&quot;FiscalYears&quot;,&quot;StartDate < Today And EndDate > Today&quot;)

You'll have to supply your own proper criteria. You shouldn't need to set up a query just for this but if you have it anyway you can use it instead in the DLookup.

Enjoy,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Your code did the trick! And it's much simpler than all the stuff I tried that didn't work.

Many thanks,
slocat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back