Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Printer Setting Affecting Report Top Margin

Status
Not open for further replies.

csr

Programmer
Jul 20, 2000
I have a report that is starting down on the paper about an inch lower than it had been just a few days ago.

Nothing has changed in the report.

However, we did change the default printer from a (Local) OKIDATA dot matrix to a (network) HP LaserJet.

The user is allowed to select the printer of choice but it is more convenient to leave the default printer as the OKI since that is where it is to be printed.

Changing the default printer back to the OKI corrects the problem.

I have cleared out the EXPR, TAG1, TAG2 fields in the FRX file.

Any thoughts on this ?

Don

The printer information is saved with the report. ramani wrote an FAQ on how to hack the form and remove it. Try that and then rebuild the exe to see if it helps.

How to hack FRX file to strip printer driver information faq184-581

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Yes, I understand that. That is what I was referring to in my sentence: "I have cleared out the EXPR, TAG1, TAG2 fields in the FRX file."

Probably was not clear as to what that was all about.

Sorry.

Don

The printer driver (or the hardware) may simply enforce a different Top Margin. Laser printers often can't print on the entire sheet of paper. But in some cases special PCL commands may allow you to.

Rick

csr

However, we did change the default printer from a (Local) OKIDATA dot matrix to a (network) HP LaserJet.

That would make the difference, since when a report is generated, it takes on the characteristics of the defautl printer. You may need to re-align your report components to reflect the new default printer.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Don, you made it clear. I just didn't pay enough attention :)

Here is something silly to try.

Backup your VFP resource file, then delete it. Start foxpro so it will create it again. Then try it.

Sounds silly, but I recently had a situation where a report started giving me errors and Cathy P. suggested that. It worked.

If that does not help, you can restore the resource file (config.fpw).

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Things seem to be getting a little confused.

Let me try to explain this more carefully.

I developed a VFP7 report on machine - A. The default printer on machine - A is the HP LASERJET.

I cleared out the values in fields EXPR, TAG1, and TAG2. Those are the fields where the printer information is stored in a report. So, I know that nothing is being stored about printers.

I execute the report on Machine - B. If the default pritner on Machine - B is the HP LASERJET and the user selects the OKIDATA as the destination for the report, everything works fine.

However, if the default printer on machine B is the OKIDATA and the user prints to that printer then the top margin seems to increase by about 3/4 of an inch.

I hope that is clearer.

Don

csr

I understand you totally. However I don't have good news for you at least from my experience and research. I work for a company, which is the main office hub. We have hundreds of different users logging in to us thru a citrix connection. All of these users have different printers. What I have noticed and gathered throughout all of these posts and forums is clearing the values in expr, tag1, tag2 allows you to print to the end users default printer and not have the end user receive errors due to not having the encoded printer that was stored in your *.frx at design time.

I do clear the above values. But each printer will print a little different depending on the end users print driver. Top, bottom, left, right margins will all very a little. These values are not stored in expr, tag1, tag2. Not sure were they are or if they are. Also you have to watch clearing all the values in the expr field. Example, if you have a report designed for landscape and clear everything in the expr field it will print portrait. I did not care that these reports do not print exactly in the same place all the time. However some of my reports would not print at all. User receives an error: detail band the large to fit page. So I had the go into these reports and make some top, bottom, left, right page adjustments. But still have a few users that the reports still will not pull up. Most of these users that I still have problems with have cheap of the wall injet printers. So your problem could be worse!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back