Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deeply Philosophical Questions 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjgoldstein

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
GB
BBC Reporter said:
There were also reports of hailstones the size of golf balls falling in the East Midlands

How were hailstones measured before the invention of golf balls?

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

I particularly look forward to hearing how your 'philosophy' deals with transparent objects

@strongm - A transparent object still reflects and absorbs light. Hence why glass gets hot in the sun and you can 'see' it.

@1DMF - I was resisting the temptation to get into debates about the existence of god and least of all, your spelling of philosophical. :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

All this talk of chairs and philosophical debates reminds me of a story.

[tab]The police are questioning a young collegiate football player about why he assaulted his professor.
Police: So, young man. Why did you hit your teacher with a chair.
Student: He asked me to.
Police: He asked you to? Why would he do that.
Student: He called me up in front of the class and told me to prove to him that the chair actually exists. So I picked up the chair and hit him over the head with it.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

In the course of which he also proved the one aspect of Quantum Physics - that objects might get altered or even destroyed by observation!
[tongue]

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

speaking of Quantum Physics - Quantum Entanglement and the Pauli exclusion principle are very very exciting.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

>@strongm - A transparent object still reflects and absorbs light. Hence why glass gets hot in the sun and you can 'see' it.

I'm well aware of that. My point, however, is that 1DMF's 'philosophy' (as stated so far) has no mechanism to explain transparency, based as it is on the idea that an object rejects colours that it is not made up of.

@2ffat & MakeItSo -> [rofl]

I was resisting the temptation to get into debates about the existence of god and least of all, your spelling of philosophical.

Well that was not the point of the comment, ( to start a debate) it was to emphasise the fact people debate and have philosophical views about God, without undertanding any science or having any proof he exists, so I disagree with Mike's comment regarding the pre-requisite for being able to have a philosophical discussion ;-) I can't accept he actually beleives that people who believe things he doesn't or don't understand a particular field should shut up and not be allowed to express their opinion, I never had him down as a Bigot [noevil]

Oh and I spell it that way because I'm a Philistine [pharaoh]

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Speaking of philosophy and reflection:
Don't you find it intriguing, that no matter what you look up in Wikipedia, if you follow the first link of the article and then the first links of every follow-up article, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".
[ponder]

Does this reflect somehow that Philosophy is the basis of all knowledge or rather that reflection is the basis of all philosophy?
Or is it that philosophy simply pervades everything regardless of how "dry", scientific, formulative it is?

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

All this talk of chairs is making me think about the Neil Diamond song "I Am I Said"...

I am I said
To no-one there
And no-one heard at all
Not even the Chair

Was this a chair for sitting on or the PC representation of Chairman (of the board for example)?

Just trying to lighten up a bit!

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

Sorry, as I'm not "down with the kids", can you explain "wiki is whack!"

Youtube not permitted at work so I'll pass on your link.

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

>not be allowed to express their opinion

Again, that is not what I said. I said that you appeared to misunderstand the meanings of 'philosophy' and 'debate', and that you have to understand the argument from both sides (more-or-less precisely the opposite of what you are indirectly accusing me of)

For example, a conversation is not a debate, and expressing an opinion is not a debate. And an opinion in most cases is not a philosophy. Simply stating a divergent view (e.g. "clouds are made of cotton wool") is not philosophy.

Furthermore, the philosophical considerations as to whether God exists are not the same thing as faith (faith in anything, of course, by it's very nature requires no justification beyond "I believe it to be so, and that's all the proof I need", and thus can safely ignore any counterarguments without having to actually engage in them). Philosophical reflection on what is meant by the term "God" and whether such a God exists tries to use somehwat more rational methods to clarify this problematic situation

My apologies to those without youtube.

The current "discussion" reminds me of a Monty Python Skit

(and sorry for my contribution for taking this into the weeds)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Speaking of that Monty Python sketch:
Would THAT actually be an argument or a dispute?
I'm think of disputes as described in Arthur Schopenhauer's "Eristische Dialektik" (The Art of Being Right):

Although, wait, no: I think the Monthy Python way would be rather verbal ping-pong.
[bigcheeks]

Let's keep it both professional and topical. There is no justification for ad hominem remarks.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Technically the sketch was topical but I agree with your sentiments.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Wish I would have started reading this thread when it first appeared. Thought it was too deep for me.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back