Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDE Conversation - Multiple Clients running 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamC

Programmer
Aug 22, 2002
DE
Hi,

i'm new to PSC-programming/customizing and need a little help from the gurus.

I want to transfer data from an external application to sc via dde. There is no prob as long as only one client is running on the machine. If more than one client is runnig only the last client started becomes the destination of all dde-conversation.

Does anyone know how comunicate with the client who for example starts the external program no matter how many clients are running?

Is there another way to reach the goal?

Thanks for your interest/help.

Sam.

no way , because, you cann`t change the topic of a sc client

Hi dx111ge,

thanks for your response. I'm not sure i discribed my problem well.

I have a format (dbsisissystem, hi Sven ;-)). This form has multiple fields. One of this fields is a fill-field. The ButtonID of the FillField is set to 1000. In the action of this butto is to start the external app (us.launch.external with parameters). The app starts and gets data from somewhere. This data then is transfered via multiple DDE-Calls ('ServiceCenter','ActiveForm','fieldname') to SC.

This mechanism works well. At the end of execution the ActiveForm is filled out with all the data of the external app. (SC acts as DDE-Server)

If i start a second SC-Client on this machine, or asecond client is allready running on this machine only the last started client acts as DDE-Server. No matter wich client is active (has the focus).

I'm sure i could solve the problem by making SC-Client acting as DDE-Client not Server, but for this i need to program RAD (no licence).

Here my question again is it possible to force the active SC-Client (wich has the focus) to act as DDE-Server?

Greetings SamC (jc).

us dde script to get values .... thats the right way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back