Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dbase V under XP will not run

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamYSA

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
AU
I have been using Dbase V on my P4 Notebook (under XP Home) for over two years with nothing but the 'usual' dBase for DOS problems. Suddenly today dBase will not open, whether from the desktop shortcut, explorer or even from run->cmd->C:\dbase\dbase.exe

The first time I try I get a black screen with the C:\...\BTRDRVS.SYS (I think - it's pretty quick!) echo at the top, a pause of about a second then back to the desktop or command window. If I try again I get exactly the same procedure, without the BTRDRVSYS.

Interstingly, the other .exe files in the dBase directory work fine (e.g. dbinfo.exe).

I have made no changes but even tried doing a system restore to a couple of days ago when everything was working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have things in action again now. I had installed latest Windows Updates. Once I uninstalled those I got dBase back again

I have many programs written and run either from the PRG or from compiled EXE files and I have not had it fail to start, from any Windows version Win98/98se/Me/2000/XPpro/2003. My XP right now is fully updated and runs dBase 5 for DOS just fine. Likely there is some difference in your configuration or environment, as I don't think the Windows updates are the real problem, they just uncovered the issue. The only Windows flavor I can't defend totally is XP Home since I don't use it.

Thanks Mark. I plan to reinstall the updates one by one to see which created (or catalysed) the problem. It may be my PC as for some reason it is incompatible with XP SP2, according to the manufacturer it is a motherboard issue.

What might help is if anyone knows what kind of feature would cause dBase to behave this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back