Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBase V & WinXP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishow

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
SG
When I use dBase V (DOS Version) and any Microsoft Office applications together, my whole system begins to crawl.

Does anyone knows how to resolve this problem? There's no problem with XP Home, Win2k and below.

One problem I saw was that in the task manager, a process named "NTVDM.EXE" is using more than 90% of CPU resource.

NTVDM is the "virtual Dos manager" in Windows. It is your dBase window. I used to have any windows apps open I would need before opening a DOS window to get around it.

NTVDM = NT Virtual Device Driver

Do a keyword search for NTVDM on this forum (thread290-656684) and also check the FoxPro for DOW/Windows forum182 as there are 7 posts there mentioning NTVDM.

Sometimes I've seen others recommend TameDOS ( to resolve memory-hogging and other issues. Though this may not apply in your case, others have said to be sure the AV software is ignoring the tables or indexes (DBF/CDX/IDX).

FoxPro thread182-330145 says to search that forum for "memlimit"

I manage numerous Windows versions including 98, 98se, Me, 2000 and XP. I've also seen the problem described above with our XP systems. What happens is that if the dBase application is running, and afterwards I start a Windows application (such as as Word, Excel, Abobe Acrobat, etc.), then those Windows programs take a very long time to open. But if you terminate the DOS program, they finish loading normally. Probably the DOS program is hogging all the system resources or CPU cycles. Probably time to try TameDOS.

dbMark

Hi,

Could this be the Problem that I am having too.

I am running a Dbase 4.2 compiled program on XP.

In the program I Call a 3rd party print application with the RUN command
run "C:\Program Files\Program.exe" etc.

Runs fine in earlier versions of windows but nothing happens at all in Windows XP.

I Have tried emulating Win 98 in XP but got no-where.

I can call the program with the from XP Command line

I haven't tried with the Dbase running.

Dbase is compiled as 32 bit.

Roger Brealey
Australia

When you run your DOS applications, are you using CMD.COM or COMMAND.COM? Try using COMMAND.COM instead and it may resolve at least somewhat the issue I mentioned in my post above on April 14.

dbMark

Keep in mind that if you use COMMAND.COM then while inside that window you won't be able to use long files names but of course most DOS programs can't think beyond 8.3 anyway... thread289-818635

Correction: The "Command Prompt" in XP is actually Cmd.exe not Cmd.com, so I apologize for any confusion there. Cmd.exe is essentially the Command Line Interface (CLI) for XP. Command.com is quite limited in the XP environment but may be of great help to run certain older DOS programs on systems using NT technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back