Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBASE PROGRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtodbase

Programmer
Jun 7, 2005
US
Need some help here as I'm not exacly sure what I need. Pardon my ignorance.

I have an old program that runs on a DOS machine. I was able to zip the directory structure and copy to my XP - Pro PC. I now unzipped and have 6 program files (*.exe) along with many .dbf files and many .ntx files. The programs run fine but never read any of the existing data - it's as if they don't use the existing datafiles but function correctly. This may be because I don't have DBASE or any other stuff running. Is that necessary to run the programs? Or only for development? I gues I'm looking as to what I need to see the data that I have in the tables.

You may wish to try the Clipper forum288 since .NTX files are probably Clipper not dBase indexes. As for your specific problem, there could be several possibilities running DOS programs on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003. Remember, in the NT family you are no longer in a DOS window, rather a virtual session.

Are you sure you've set the path? If you create a path in one window, it is not reflected in other or later "Command Prompt" windows.

You might want to check your autoexec.prg to see if you sent over a path designation that doesn't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back