Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBase II old book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo2023

Programmer
Jul 13, 2023
RS
Hi to all.

In 1992 year my friend borrowed me a book about dBase II. I read it and learned a lot.
Today I can't remember title of that book nor name of author. My friend passed away in another town so there is no one who can help me to discover exact title and author of that book.

I would like to buy that book, because I learned much from it, and that knowledge guides me and helped me up to these days.

I can only explain what specific part of book was valuable for me.

In the first chapters of book author guides us how to create database (database design), how to name files and fields in it. For example author suggested something like this:
If we for example develop application about Accounting, then all dbase file names star with ACC. For example we can have next DBFs:
ACCCUS.DBF for customers
ACCITM.DBF for items
etc.
Then, field names in ACCCUS.DBF should begim with CUS, and we can have:
CUSNUM N5 for customer number
CUSNAM C40 for customer name
CUSADR C60 for customer address
CUSCIT C30 for customer city
etc.
Same applies for ACCITH.DBF, so we cane have fields ITHNUM, ITMNAM, ITMVAT ad so on.

Of course, there were other valuable chapters, but these specific parts helped me a lot, especially when I must to make new PRG from some other similar PRG, or when I make new application. With these naming rules I could use parts of previous one PRG, and then replaceing for example ITH into some other record type, I could easely create new PRG.

So, is there anybody who can suggest me what book could it be.

Thank you in advance and Best regards.

Simo.

Hi Simo,
There were a lot of manuals about in the day, mainly dBase III of which I still have a couple. I will have a look through these to see which is closest to what you mention in your text.
PhilT

Thank you Phil.
Book that I have read is about dBase II, not dBase III.
Do not waste your time on searching dBase III books.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Simo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back