Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

data1.msi nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwtaylor

MIS
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I clicked on the Outlook icon & it said "Preparing to install". Then it prompted me for the Office 2000 CD. I put it in & it wants this data1.msi file, which doesn't exist on the CD. I have had this problem before & I got round it by by reinstalling - however, this time, when I go to Add/Remove Programs & try & uninstall so that I can reinstall, it still wants this data1.msi file even for uninstalling. When I just put the CD & try & reinstall over the existing installation - guess what - it says it needs this data1.msi file. The weird thing is I read up on this and some people say the problem is trying to reinstall from a different version of Office - but I'm not - we only have 1 CD! Does anyone have any ideas as I'm really stuck (& this PC is now useless to us until I can get Outlook email working on it?)

Are you sure that the original install was not carried out from a network share point? - the data1.msi is a windows installer file that contains preferences.

I would search your server(s) for this sharepoint.

Graham
"r tape loading error"

ON the same line as gjdf1's advise...this can also happen if the office files are loaded from an "IMAGE".

Thanks for the help - I asked the IT manager & he said that Office may have been installed over the network. The installation files are no longer on the network. Is there any alternative to the dreaded fdisk?

Thanks for the links - unfortunately, the solutions involve finding the data1.msi file, which, incredible though it may sound, DOES NOT EXIST ON MY OFFICE 2000 CD. I have data1out.msi for Outlook, data1wrd.msi etc etc, but no actual data1.msi file. The solutions I have seen all assume that you have this file on your CD.

I believe the problem is that Outlook was installed not from an Outlook CD or installation point, but rather from some flavor of an Office Suite CD or installation point.

The easiest way I know of to fix this is to enlist the assistance of your IT department. They will have to recreate the installation point where it was or reinstall your software and override it.

I would begin by backing up your documents and settings (there are wizards available from Microsoft to do this, look for a copy of the Office Resource Kit (ORK) for version 2000 if your IT department doesn not have it). Then you need to determine specifically what version of Office is installed on your PC. Use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to determine this.

Once this is done, have the IT department create the installation point. They should collectively have enough knowledge to know how to reinstall the software to update the installation path stored on your PC, repair any problems with your softare, etc.

Sounds like they didn't cover their tracks well prior to removing the installation point, unless it was an unplanned removal. That is, I would think they would upgrade and refresh existing installations prior to removing the files to which they will eternally be dependent upon.

That should fix and and all problems associated with your installation. I would say if it doesn't preserve your backed up settings and start looking for a file system, physical drive integrity, or OS problem.

Let me know if I can help you more.

Thanks DKelsey! I have just actually joined the IT department, so it's my problem really. If we recreate the installation point, won't we still have the problem that the data1.msi file doesn't actually exist on our CD? Presumably we would just copy the CD contents to a network share, but that wouldn't actually create a file called data1.msi. Would we have to rename the setup file? By the way, our version is "Office 2000 Professional SR-1".

Hi

I think it may be looking for a data1.hdr file. Even though it says data1.msi.

When you install the program it makes a data1.hdr file, this can be found under c:\program files\installshield installation information...

I think this is the file it's looking for because it contains the installation information it needs to either re-install or uninstall.

You may be able to copy this file from another machine that you've installed Office 2000 on...the problem will be figuring out which file it is. There are several on my machine and they only way I could know is by the date....

I would do the following. Find a machine that you have not installed Office 2000 on, run a search on data1.* and do a screen print or print out of the results. Install Office 2000, then run a search again and find the new data1.hdr file. Copy this to the same place on your machine. It may work or it may not, but that's what I would try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back