Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customer Maintenance Alarming 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcresswell

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
My company is a business partner w/ avaya and we offer our customers our own maintenance as opposed to Avaya Maintenance. Does anyone know what hardware we will need to have our maintenance paying customer's Definity switches call us rather than avaya? I have heard of other BP's doing it so I'm curious how they are doing it.

You need to change the outcall number on the maintenance screen in the Definity.

First you need a INIT or INADs password to change system paraemeters customer options. This will allow you to change the OSS number.

You do not need INIT or INADS. You just need the proper maintenance permissions to change the "system-parameters maintenance" screen. -CL

Thanks for everyone's prompt responses, but I am referring to what equipment or software do I need to have for the definity to call. Do I need a PC with some kind of capture software? Then what happens when a definity calls the PC, does it leave an alarm code or does it just leave its product ID? Thanks everyone.

Well, the Definity tries to leave an alarm report via modem call. It contains the same information as the "display alarms" command would, but only for major and minor alarms, and you would need an application that takes the calls and decodes its information.

afaik Avaya is selling such an application, but i don't know how it's called, only that it's quite expensive. ;-)

Best regards,
RS4

Thanks BIS, it works great. You get a star.

I believe that the AVAYA product is called the PBX-pert, (or something like that) and that yes, it's quite expensive. (As most AVAYA solutions are.)

It does have the ability to do a lot of testing and alarm resolution. (Similar to alarmtraq.) As well as "human notification" if it can't resolve the problem.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

at our office we use a software tool that is developed by one of our software guys. If a remote pbx calls to alarm something the software will send the enigeneer who has alarm-shift a sms. It also sends an email to the engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back