Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS Elan IP Routes/Gateways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slider55

Technical User
Oct 18, 2006
US
I have an HA system Cppm CS w/5.5 I looked in the routes built for the system here is what I have:
Ld 137 prim elnk is 192.1.2.253

Route is built 192.1.2.0 is set to GW 192.1.2.253

OK

SCS Geo Rdun CS 10 miles away on same subnet is set:

Prim elnk is 192.1.2.250

Route is 192.1.2.0 going to GW 192.1.2.250
and
Route 0.0.0.0 going to GW 192.1.2.1

All the MGC's point to the 192.1.2.1 GW accross this flat 192.1.2 network.

Is this the best way to set the routes and does the fact that both call servers are not pointing to the same GW pose any issues?

Thanks for the input!

Are you talking about ha or geograpical redundancy. you would not have two different ip anything on a ha system as 1 cpu is always in standby and takes the primary elnk when it comes active.

I understand the standbye IP is used when the HA system is split, what I'm asking about is the differences in the two sites. One being the PCS Primary HA system and its route and gateways settings verses the alternate CS Gateway and Ip route settings.

any have an idea how the routes should be built for these two switches?
Thx

Hmmm ... I thought you are supposed to have a separate 'segragated' ELAN (not on the same subnet) between the Primary and the Secondary PBX cores. You definitely want to make sure that no 'normal' data traffic flows on the ELAN so use ACLs to block anything that isn't supposed to be on the ELAN. We had an Airwave scanner that was causing our ELAN to seemingly have a broadcast storm and apparantly lock-up for five minutes or so.

Ours is 100.1.10.10 and 100.3.10.10
Perhaps someone else can verify?

Tman45,
Thanks for the reply, we have our Elan on its own Vlan all elan switches connected up via fiber and no data on the switches just Elan, it just seems to me like a waste of resources but thats the way the IT guy wants it. I would have thought a PVC point to point circut would have done as good. The thing I'm wondering about is that in the primary call server we have everything 192.1.2.x going dirctly to the primary call server and over at the secondary site everything 192.1.2.x going to the 192.1.2.250 callserver and everything else 0.0.0.0 going to 192.1.2.1 which doesn't even exist as a gateway anywhere. It seems that without a gateway how are the two call servers able to talk the most effective way. The SMG's all have their perspective secondary Elan CS IP addresses but is there other signaling going on that needs the help of a dedicated gateway(s). I find it hard to believe that this is the ideal setup but I'm not a bonified IT guy so who am I to say anything. What should the proper setup look like? There are cisco 2950's and 3700 series being used at this location.

Thx

Slider, basically the way it is setup, going to a non-existent gateway, would not allow the equipment to talk to any other network but the 192.1.2.X network. Which would be desirable, but as Tman said before I believe a PCS and SCS should have different ELAN networks. Meaning your PCS should be on the 192.1.2.x and then maybe your SCS on 192.1.3.x.

I'll tell you how are setup is, we have separate VLANs for TLAN and ELAN traffic, as well as separate subnets for both, at both sites. So ...

Site 1:
ELAN - 172.16.101.x/24
TLAN - 172.16.100.x/24

Site 2:
ELAN - 172.16.11.x/24
TLAN - 172.16.6.x/25

This is going over 100mbit metro fiber/ethernet, and in the various switches I have the routing and ACLs in place to restrict traffic. Of course QoS setup to make sure voice is prioritized. All situations are going to be different, and as they say, "if its not broke don't fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back