Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crisis Alert: Setting it up and making sure it works 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariadne

MIS
Jul 5, 2002
US
Hi there. I want to set up the crisis alert buttons, but i think i've somehow missed a step.

I changed 911 in the ars analysis tables to reflect as a call type of alrt.

I programmed the crss-alert button on the console, and my own phone. We had an actual 911 call yesterday afternoon and it didn't work.

In sys-param crisis, it's set to every user responds with no alert pager.

What have I missed?

Suggestion, set it up so that your cell number is an alrt (temp for testing). Then test the call.

Also, the person who called 911, did they call 9911 or just 911? If they called 911, you'll also need to set in your ARS table the "11" as an alrt as well.

I dont have 11 in my ars as alrt. But I do have 11 in my ars digit conversion table with min 2 max 2 and del 2. Then replacement 911 and net ars.

Ariadne, you have it all right. I would do as bwilch suggested, set up your cell phone with and ars entery and set it to alrt, then place a test call to your cell phone.

YOu can also run the command 'list emergency' to see who called 911.

They called 9 911..

This leads me to another question then...

We have a separate trunk group setup for 911 calls- and it's set to be a type: co

The call goes out on a 1BL line to the 911 station.

If i set up in the ars analysis table 11 (as in 9 11), do i create a separate route pattern to add digits? If so, how about would i do that and be able to link that to the 911 trunk group?

I do not at all have a lot of experience with this kind of stuff and it kind of unnerves me to play around with it, given the impact it can have...

Basically, yes you would have to create your own route pattern specifically for this type of call. Mirror what you have for the 911 however under "inserted digits" put "9"

You can always make a test call to the 911 center, make sure you explain this is NOT an emergency and that you are working with a phone system to ensure 911 is working properly.

My suggestion would be to test with your cell phone number for the alrt portion. Once you think you have that figured out, then enable it for 911 and 9911 and test both ways with the dispatch center.

Don't forget to remove your cell phone number from the ARS table or at least as an alrt. ;D

Whew!

I tried it with my cell phone and man! It's loud! I just wonder why it worked today with my cell phone, but not yesterday when it was called a second time (I set this up right after the first incident)...

Thanks!

I add 611 as a alrt in my ars for testing rather than dialing 911.

In the future everything will work...

I've been playing with crisis alerting today, set it up so that if I call my cell phone it sets off the alarms. All works well, so I'm ready to turn it on for 911 calls now. Right now our 911 coding in our ars table has the call type of EMER instead of ALRT. Do I need to worry about changing this over to ALRT? There's no chance that changing this could mess up our ability to dial 911 is there?
Thanks.

Go ahead and make the change, it won't hurt anything but it is good practice to always make a test call to 911 when you change something like that. When you call 911 explain that this is a test of a "new phone system" and ask them the address that you are calling from.

No, it won't mess up your 911 dialing - changing the call type to ALRT from EMER just activates the crisis-alert stations you've set up.

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

I have another post out there regarding setting this same thing up on an aes-cm simulator. I do not have any hardware installed ( its a simulator ) I cant get the stations to get the alert. when I dial 911 from an ext it doesnt go anywhere? Any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back