Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Setup Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop72

Programmer
Jul 1, 1999
US
I am developing a mutli-user app that uses mostly DAO to connect to an Access DB on a file server. When I run the app from my PC it connects fine, but when I create a setup file and install it on another machine the app fails to connect to the server. The only way I found to resolve this is to install VB on the target PC and make the executable on that PC. It is not reasonable that I should have to install VB on each machine that I desire to run my app. Am I neglecting to include some support files in the package?

It seems like you missed some files, try to include the odbc drivers and the DAO dlls.<br>
Also, check the reference to the database, maybe it is looking somewhere else, it happened once to me.<br>

Also look out for different versions of ODBC and it's drivers.

<br>
You may have to redistribute the DAO stuff. It's in a huge file called MDAC_TYP.EXE. There is a command-line interface to this program (so it'll run silently), as I have seen other setup programs run it, but don't know what they do to get it to do it.<br>
<br>
Also, there was a KB article about developers shipping a VB5 app from their machines, when they also had VB6 installed. Seems a new file must be distributed called Expsrv.dll, that is required for backwards-compatability with data-access. This file isn't known to the VB5 setup wizard, so you have to slip it in manually to your setup program.<br>
<br>
Chip H.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back