Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find Creation Date of Video Files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error7

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
GB
After copying a few hundred .MP4 and .MOV files from various devices, I found that Windows incorrectly displays the 'Date Created' as the last modified date. I need to edit the video files in chronological order but despite many on-line searches to find a VB6 solution to viewing the actual Date Created I have drawn a blank.

Does anybody have any code snippets available to achieve this?

[gray]Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.[/gray]

Could you show your actual VB 6 code here?
I would assume it would look something like:

Code:
OldFileName = Chr(34) & "E:\Photograph & Video\Caribbean Cruise 2020\All Video's\20200127\IMG_3723.MOV" & Chr(34)
NewFileName = Chr(34) & "E:\Photograph & Video\Caribbean Cruise 2020\All Video's\20200127\20200126 123056.MOV" & Chr(34)

FileCopy OldFileName, NewFileName

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Thanks Andy
After spending several hours trying to figure this out, I just discovered the problem.
My code interacts with a programme called MediaInfo.exe. Media info does all the hard work by writing all the exif data, including the Media Created date, to a text file.
I then open this text file and extract the Filepath\Filename and Media Created date and time, then reformat the date and time to create my new file names.
I just discovered (finally) that it precedes each entry in the text file with a space character.

So problem solved but thanks for responding.

[gray]Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.[/gray]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back