Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Sequentiaql Numbering on a Subform

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschmid

Technical User
Apr 1, 2002
US
Need to know how to code a field to autonumber on a subform while I am inputting. I have a field that I want to start at 1 each time I go to enter a record. I want the field to sequentially increment from there and then I will save the record. When I go to enter a new record the field will start back at 1 and increase again. The subform stores part numbers and descriptions based on the PK known as the Catalog Number on the main form. Assistance with this is much appreciated.

The seq number in your table behind your subform needs to be a number not autonumber.

On the subform make it's default value

=dmax("[partnumber]", "subformpartnumber","[catalog number]=" & me.catalog number) + 1

Catalog number is likely what you use to link the main form and the subform (should be unique). If it's not a number then use

=dmax("[seqnumber]", "subformtable","[mainformnumber]= '" & me.mainformnumber & "'") + 1

The first subform record you will need to enter 1 but after that it should number them for you.

You can check the first one with iif and have it return a 1 but that's extra :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back