Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crazy keyboard pounder in next cubicle, part 2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr777

Programmer
Aug 16, 2006
US
Hello, it's been a while.
Update:
I am still here sitting next to the crazed keyboard pounder after all these years.
I wear aircraft carrier grade ear protection all day but can still hear it.
I am well past all hope of sanity.
I have done a rough calculation based on an estimated 100 wpm typing speed (actual probably higher) that the keyboard monkey is typing the equivalent of approximately 14.11 complete works of Shakespeare per year.
Still clueless as to what content could possibly be (it is not code related).
Your continued thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.

To save what little sanity you might have left, have you thought about possibly gifting this user a keyboard that's a bit quieter?

I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream has gone from me.

I once worked with someone who's keyboard input didn't quite match his work output. It turns out he was quite active emailing friends, updating his blog, and a whole bunch of other things that had nothing to do with his actual job. I had another coworker once that was writing a book on company time.

I'll save suggestions since I don't know much about your situation, but it's usually a good thing for the company good to get that kind of thing stopped.

Have you considered starting to look for another job before your co-worker ends up with a head injury from a keyboard to the head? Next stop for you >>>> crossbar hotel (jail).

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

How about finding some other ‘issue’ with your current geographic location (not enough light, moving closer to your customers, etc.) to move away from your typist?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Apparently there is a god...the crazy kb pounder quit. Life is much more peaceful here now, however, I now notice in the new quieter environment another person who types almost as incessantly too, albeit nowhere near at the pace and power as crazy did. Still it makes me wonder...what could the content be, these people who type at high speed non-stop for 8 hours every day..it's not code..emails? No. Obsessive documentation? Perhaps, but it remains an annoying mystery..

Glad that person is gone for your sake, but............. I'm starting to think that you're too sensitive to noise!!!

I am but it's not just the noise, I am trying to understand what somebody could possibly be typing at such a rate continually day after day year after year...AND...this one prints everything she types too...it's

ratatatatatatatatatatatatatattatatatatatattatatatattbupbupbupbupbupbrrrrr
rrupupupupupupupupupupupuppuppuppupupbupbupbupbuppakpakpakpakpakpakpakpak
pukpukpukpukpukpukpukpkpuk......

then PRINT...then repeat, for 8 hours. all day..every day. What the hell is it??? it's not programming!

Here's a wild thought:

[BOLD]ASK HER[/BOLD]

Randy

oh oh oh...here's another kicker...SHE THROWS THE PRINTOUTS AWAY. yeah. So it's,
typetypetypetypetypetypetypetypetypetypetypetypepoundpoundpoundpoundpou
ndpoundpoundpoundpoundpoundratatatatatratatatatatratatatatatratatatatat
ratatatatatratatatatatratatatatatratatatatatratatatatatratatatatatratat
atatatratatatatatratatatatatratatatatatratatatatatratatatatat...PRINT..
walk to printer (in her flipflops)...get printout...walk back to
desk(flipflipflop..)...walk to recycle bin (flipflopflip..), throw
printout
away....REPEATREPEATREPEATREPEATREPEATREPEATREPEATREPEATREPEATREPEATREP
EATREPEATREPEAT...

until it's time to go home. Been doing this for 23
years. It's not code. It's not emails. It's some kind of weird mental compulsion pattern syndrome.

Like randy700 said: Ask her.
Or even better - since all the 'evidence' is available to you in large quantities - pick it from trash/recycle bin.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Have you considered a new profession that does not require any human contact?

Anderzejek: I have gotten emails from her, they are usually about 9 pages long where a normal person would have just said "ok". So I do think it's some sort of typing addiction.

guitarzan: Oh that would be paradise!

profession that does not require any human contact

Light house attendant comes to mind. Not the automatic ones, though. :)

But did you look in the trash to see the printouts?

Have fun.

---- Andy

Seems to be screenshots of copies of some of our mainframe system outputs..puzzling..looks like she's typing everything she sees and printing them out then discarding them..some sort of ritualistic repeating typing/printing addiction..very odd.

Another reason I'm glad I went the sysadmin route and not programming.

Proof of work for anyone not in the know?

Basically doing nothing all day but honing the typing skills?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Have you considered a new profession that does not require any human contact?
Yes, this was quite funny yet appropriate or so I'm starting to think. Every office has noise. It's hard to believe that your office would have two people that are 9 on a scale of 10 in terms of noise generation. Again, I have to start looking at the OP as oversensitive. Do you have any type of PTSD situation going on?

No PTSD afaik...I was in the cold war but that was just a big party..

I was in the cold war, too. But on the other side. :)
Our idea of resolving the cold war issue was: declare war on the West and US and surrender right away.

You would love to send your guys fighting that war. I am sure after couple of weeks they would not know where their weapons would be (partying and having a good time, who cares about guns), and as far as casualties: there would be more people coming back home that going away (with all that new spouses and children…) :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back