Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obsessive typist...part 3 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr777

Programmer
Aug 16, 2006
US
Well I got a temporary reprieve, she worked from home for 4 months. But now she's back, with same pattern as last 25 years: type/pound non-stop crazily at high speed for about half an hour, print, walk to printer, walk back with printout, type crazily another half hour or so, walk to recycle bin to throw away previous printout, walk back...repeat repeat repeat for 8 hours...been doing this for 25 years every day, no exaggeration. She types more in 5 minutes than any of us does all day. Or all week. No one knows what it could be. If you extrapolate this back 25 years..the amount is, well i don't know, staggering is not a big enough word. I don't think there is a word. What is the current size of the visible universe?

Strange temporary hiatus the other day...she stopped typing/pounding for approx 2 hours. Just silence, for the first time in 25 years, oh blessed silence. Stroke? Aneurysm? Neurological lockup? Decided to try thinking first? I wanted to go see what was wrong (right) but dared not risk breaking the spell. I sat frozen, motionless for what seemed an eternity. Alas she has since gone back to jackhammering her tortured keyboard frantically non-stop. What could it be? What could it be? WHAT COULD IT BE?? I am more convinced than ever that the universe is a far crueler place than we can imagine.

If you must know, buy a webcam and put in her cubicle. Of course you would be fired if they caught you, most likely. I did that very thing but it was in MY cubicle when someone was playing tricks on me by loading up my cubicle with boxes of prototype parts every few weeks.

The camera was hidden in a post-it note box and it was connected via USB to a laptop. When I was going to leave my cubicle for more than 10 minutes, I would press the record button, CTRL ALT DEL and lock the workstation, then come back and check for any action. Nobody suspected anything because I was the computer guy and there were lots of computers on my desk at all times. I found out who it was. Still have the video on a backup DVD from that job.

BTW - I'm personally starting to believe that you are messing with us regarding this crazy typist.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Nope, all true. I talk to others regularly about it. "What could it be?" "What is she typing all the time?" "What could the CONTENT possibly be?" The general consensus is that it's some form of abnormal documentation obsession. You'd have to hear it to believe it.

For 25 years she has been doing a job for a company. Is there any job description so they can hire a replacement if she dies?

Does she have a boss? Does the boss know what she does?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I'm really kind of confused about this whole series of threads.

1) I thought she quit? "Apparently there is a god...the crazy kb pounder quit. Life is much more peaceful here now"
2) What kind of work does this person do? After 25 years, you don't know? Or is it a different person?

I'm really thinking that this may be a perception problem... or a great social experiment to see how we'd respond. Unless she has a mechanical keyboard, a pair of ear buds and some music would drown out most keyboards today (membrane style)

Maybe it's not the typist... perhaps you should really talk to a doctor about it... a serotonin or dopamine reuptake inhibitor may be in your future... no shame in that... it takes the edge off.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Have you ever just asked her, basically, what the heck are you doing typing so much???? Direct approach.
Or hang over her shoulder for a minute before greeting her and spy on her.
We need answers.

No sense ‘asking’ questions here, they hardly ever get answered. If you read thru this thread you will see a LOT of questions, no answers from pgmr777. OP needs the channel to vent, not to find the solution. Just my opinion…

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Like when females don't really want you to give them advice on solving a problem (a five step program), just "listen to me"?

Oh snap.... that was funny though perhaps slightly exaggerated.

It's a typing addiction, that's all I can determine. For example, a normal response email to "did you do x?" would be "yes" or "yes I did x". But from her it will be a hundred (or more) word response typed out at a furious, frantic pace. Lots of complaining. It's not programming, we're object, modular programmers, we rarely type anything from scratch. Why would anybody? Oh, to the person who thought she left, that was a different jackhammer typist, was even worse than this one. THAT one was truly insane.

She's a keyboard virtuoso!
mt_baigqn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back