Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU running really hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirgy

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I bought a Chaintech Motherboard 7NJS-Zenith, and an AMD XP 2700+. I as well bought a Thermaltake 10+ fan which has a copper Heatsync and supports up to the 3400+.. I have set my CPU FSB to 166mhz in my BIOS, and my computer is reporting to me that my CPU is running between 54c-59c.. I don't understand why the CPU would be running so hot when it's not even overclocked... I've tried using both CPU Heatsync fans, (one being the stock fan, and the other the Volcano 10) and between the two, the CPU still runs at the same temp...I'm wondering do you think the probe on my motherboard is shot? I mean I don't understand it... Very strange.. Oh I forgot to mention the CPU fan is spinning at approx 5000rpm as well.. And feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

Try using thermal compound (ie: Arctic Silver II) between the cpu and heatsink. Just a small amount (pea size) on the top raised center of the cpu. Be careful with it as to not get it all over the place as it is conductive. If your current heatsink has a pad attached to it then you will want to scrap it off with a razor blade and make sure it is clean of adhesive before appying the thermal compound. Be very careful not to scratch or gouge the heatsink. This should put you some where in the 40c's.

I have done that, I have applied the Artic Silver compound on the Fan Heatsync, it does help and does lower the CPU temp 4c-5c lower, but it's still running pretty hot.. I'm not sure if maybe the probe is shot? I mean I've placed my finger at the Heatsync, and it didn't seem all that hot..

I am having a similar problem. Except my CPU is running hotter.

AMD 2800+
1 Gig of DDR 333mhz
ATI Radeon 9800
Heatsink: currently AMD specific fan

Anyway, I noticed my comp. would shut down. I wondered if it was my ATI card overheating. I reinstalled the drivers and tried checking the temp. Nothing. THen I went into BIOS and checked CPU temp.... 83 Celsius!!! Holy crap!

I took off the Heatsink, scrapped the Heatsink with a razorblade... wiped off any excess that was on the CPU.

Now it's running at a balmy 74 Celsius. I don't think I applied the Compound correctly. About to redo that and report back.

Can anyone recommend a very good cooling system for an AMD Athlon 2800+? I am interested in getting something better than AMD standard.

Thanks in advance.

Howdy:

Go to the following site and you will see the max operating temps for AMD processors.. Yours should be somewhere between 85 and 90C for a max !!

As for the thermal compound, it should only be about the thickness of a hair thick.. very little is needed !!

Murray

My system temperature is running on average at 42c which in farenheit is 107.60 degrees.. I honestly can't agree with that temperature becuase isn't the system temperature supposed to match room temperature? My room temperature on average is about 76 degrees farenheit. I'm as well are running 4 80mm case fans, 2 blowing air in, and the other 2 blowing air out.... Also I'm running 420w power supply, with 2 internal fans blowing air out

42°C is excellent! No, the CPU temp usually doesn't come close to room temperature without special cooling. For the Athlon XP CPU's above 2GHz, anything under 55°C is considered good.

Remember that an Athlon XP 2800+ is going to run hotter than an Athlon XP 2500+ every time (assuming they are both based on the same exact design). As AMD increases the speed of the CPU with each new release, the average temp reading goes up. It's not until AMD modifies the architecture (such as going from the Thunderbird to the Palomino) does the temp jump back down to normal readings.

The Thoroughbred 'B' architecture has been taken to the limit with heat dissipation at an all-time high. Even the newer Barton cores failed to provide any relief. Heat dissipation is one big disadvantage of the Athlon when compared to the Pentium 4.

Check this link for statistics:

Here are several articles that take a look at AMD stock coolers vs. 3rd party ones:

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Try taking the side off your case and direct a small house fan at your CPU & vid. card.If this brings your temps down you may want to rethink your cooling strategy.If it doesn't it may be a faulty board.

cdogg, I think you mean Palemino to thoroughbred, not the other way around.
Indur, I think you have fitted your heatsink 180degrees out (the wrong way around) or at least the heatsink is fouling something preventing proper square heatsink to core contact.
The heatsink will appear cool, it needs proper contact with the CPU for good heat transfer from core to heatsink base.
I really wouldn't advise using anything metal to clean a heatsink base, especially a razor blade, it's just not necessary! the old phase changing pad will come off 95% by just scraping with your finger nails and the other is easily removed with most solvents (apply to a cloth)
Pea sized amount of Artic silver III? I'd say thats between 5 and 10 times too much for a small XP core, it's only supposed to be the thinnest of layers.
An application amount about the size of between one and two grains of rice (prime the heatsink base first with a semi translucent layer) just in the centre of the heatink.
There is a very good application guide on the Artic Silver website:
Lastly: I have never seen a retail Athlon XP processor overheat when the stock cooler was fitted properly but lots when they havn't, sorry guys but the stock retail coolers properly fitted on an unclocked CPU are perfectly adequate, the most you will need to do is fit a couple of cheap 80mm case fans to have a fast reliable system.
PS. Some Nforce2 motherboards (Abit NF7S) for one do require a bios flash for correct temperature monitoring (don't know if this applies to the above users)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

paparazi,
Actually, I stated [navy]Thunderbird to Palomino[/navy], which is accurate. As soon as the Palomino came out, operating temperatures dropped significantly as you can see in that first link I posted above.

And yes, you are correct about the stock coolers. If installed correctly, temperatures should always be at or below 55°C for the most part, which is cool enough to run without problems. You can see this from the other links I posted.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I appologise for that one cdogg, I wasn't paying enough attention as you can see by me writing Thoroughbred, just saw the first letter.
Martin blushes with embarresment. :)
Trouble is with me it's often late at night when I visit TT and I'm half asleep, I should have known better coming from you, and there were a few previous comments from others that weren't wholey accurate and a little missleading that I wanted to put right (seems I added to the confusion lol) Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Paparazi,
Pea size amount is definitely too much. Don't know what I was thinking. A razor blade is probably not advisable either. I use one to get under one corner because I chew my finger nails and it can be difficult to grasp at times.
Especially the ones that have been under heat and pressure for a while. I will not recommend this in the future. Thanks for pointing this out.

If you have a really hot CPU, fry some eggs (yummy). Mine are sunny side up please.

[lipstick]

For those of you having heat issues with Athlon XP's, I would recommend reading a thread I started with a similar problem.

Lot of good discussion and the person I gave a star to helped me get the right equipment for the job.

Here is the URL to that thread:

thread602-604211 luck with your cooling.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back