Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting check boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastgryphon

Technical User
Sep 27, 2001
US
I have a form to contain the responses of a survey handout with about 20 question, i.e., each question with 5 to 10 possible check box responses. I need to program a query to provide me with the total number of times each response was checked and I cannot find how to do that. Should be simple, I think.

Thanks,
Lastgryphon

Lastgryphon,

It would help for you to confirm whether it is Access or Excel ?

Assuming Excel, it seems from your description that you already have a form which contains the responses - i.e. that you have already merged the data into one sheet ?

If you have merged the data - and into consistent columns, then it should be a relatively simple matter of "counting" the number of responses in each column.

Use one or more formulas at the top of each column to "test" for the number of incidents of each type of response.

Sample formula: =COUNTIF(A10:A1000,"TEST")
...where you replace "TEST" with the item you want to count in each column.

Depending on the type of "check box" used, the result could be either "Yes/No", or a Number, or "True/False". Therefore, modify the formula to match the type of response in each column.

I hope this gets you started. Please advise.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

OK. I have an answer for you if you're using Access. I actually did this yesterday at work. First, to count the number of boxes checked, you need a query to the test. Create a report based on that query. I would group by answer, and put an unbound box in the group footer. it's control source should say

=SUM(answerbox)* (-1)

This will give you a count of every box checked on the question.

To get a count of how many boxes are checked per answer, to another group by of question. Then, if you put the formula in the correct footer, you'll get a breakout of all the different answers for each question.

I would do this as a sub report and copy it for each question.

Then I would put each subreport into one test report to show how many of each answer was given for each question.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back