Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corsair quality? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
Just wondering what people think of the quality of corsair. Had a few problems lately. Had 2 bad chips of memory, sent one back to have it replaced from newegg and they replaced it no problems and the chip worked just fine. After that I sent the second chip back, they replaced it sent it back and the new one I opened and put in my system , I noticed errors started coming back. Pulled the old chip out, left only new on in and tested different slots as well while using memtest and noticed the chip itself was bad. Another thing before I had newegg replace, I sent in a bad chip to corsair to have it replaced. Well I was very angry when I got the EXACT same chip I sent in back. Its like they didnt even bother testing it. Anyways the one chip that was replaced the first time through newegg. In a couple days im sending the bad one back to try to get a replacement that is good yet again.

I started this post to basically hear other opinions on corsair. Also wanted to know if anyone recently has been having any issues like this? I do use an anti static wristband when working with componets and I do not work on carpet. Computer is unplugged of course when I put the ram in. Anyways thoughts/opinions/past history comments are welcomed.

Are you sure the problem isn't with your mainboard? I mean it is something to consider. DIMM sockets can go bad, just like any other part of a computer.

I am only saying this because it seems like even if you sent that chip back to Corsair and they tested it with no errors and sent it back to you and then you still have the same problems, perhaps the problem isn't with the memory chips. Are you sure you bought compatible memory with your motherboard manufacturer specifications? How about their recommended vendor list?

These are all things to consider because quite frankly I consider Corsair to be top of the line memory. Of the dozens of sticks I have purchased I have never had a problem. (though I never buy the cheapest stuff available from any manufacturer). If you're buying the cheapest, lowest end product they make, then just remember, you get what you pay for.

Well as for the mainboard it is compatible, I looked up on there memory site on this exact model of ram for a compatible motherboard and this one is listed. As for the slots im double checking them now with the good chip. Im leaving it in there a day or 2 seeing if it goes back. Already had thought about that. Another thing I paid around 160 dollars for 2 512 sticks of pc3200 ddr memory lol. It is value select but I still dont consider that cheap lol. Anyways the reason I know corsair sent me the same memory chip was in the beginning when both were bad I tested both chips and each one got differnet errors. I tested each one in the same slot. This time I tested different slots of each one. The first chip that I got replaced shows no errors when I run it. However the one I just got back shows 44,000 errors. I also have my settings in bios set according to all the details that there tech support "ram guy" sent me. It could have been something I did but considering I was using an anti static bracelet, was not on carpet and was very careful I dont think I caused anything. Anyways ill just be glad when I have 2 good chips again so I can run dual channel without errors. Ill be testing this good chip again tonight or tommorow to find out if my slot is messing it up but I dont think it is but will know for surely when I run memtest again.

electronicsfreak
Not sure what you are running but we had to stop using Corsair value (CL3) in out Nforce4 builds because it was giving too many issues.
I know thats a pretty broad ranging comment but when you build as many systems as we do and all of a sudden come across setup issues it's easy to pinpoint what component is causing the issue. Once we switched to another brand the problems instantly disapeared.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Yeah, I have heard of problems too regarding Corsair value brands, though I haven't experienced them myself.

Personally, I always build using memory with a latency of 2.5 or lower for systems that use DDR. So the Corsair modules I've come across were not of the same type that Martin had problems with. As a side note, I have never had a problem like you described with Crucial (Micron), OCZ, or Kingston, even on the "value" side...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Yeah well after these problems ill probally not be purchasing corsair again. What brands would you guys reccomend? About the cas latency I would have went lower but didnt want to pay more lol. Anyways just getting an idea of opinions of ram.

Well, cdogg pointed out a few brands that are good too.

Just remember what I said in my previous post and that is: "You get what you pay for".

If you buy crap, it'll perform like crap. If you can't afford to buy quality components, then you better be able to afford the headaches that will accompany substandard quality parts.

Have fun and good luck!

is pretty good. Some people claim they do not overclock well. Personally, I think overclocking is a waste of time.

Corsair may be having some quality problems or your motherboards may be having problems as well. Some motherboards sometimes have problems with some RAM. I saw this a lot with Via Chipsets. Man was Via Horrible. If you are using AMD processors the memory controller is on the CPU, so if the CPU was bad or overheating that could cause a problem.

I was just wondering because a lot of people on different forums are using Corsair RAM. Seems like other people would be having the problem. However, an OEM may see problems faster.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Well the one chip by itself now that it got fixed in my computer is running fine. I am using a via chipset mainly because I could not find an nvidia chipset for msi board that was compatible with the ram. So I chose via, as I do not like ati. Personal opinion but I really dislike them lol. Anyways from what ive seen my next buy will be crucial. Thanks for the tips.

MSI kt880 motherboard, amd athlon xp 2600, corsair pc3200 value select dont have the model number memorized but it is compatible.

electronicsfreak
I understand ceh4702 comments on Via chipsets but I think he is refereing to much earlier, pre KT266A which is some 4 years old and 5 generations ago.
Since then KT266A/333/400/600/880 via chipsets for socket462 (A) probably had fewer issues with ram than other manufacturers, for example: when the Nforce2 was first released there wasn't a more picky chipset for ram but as with all things these issues were dealt with in later revisions (ultra/400)
Your KT880 chipset was a little too late to the party as far as socket 462 was concerned, it came right at the end of this sockets life, it was every bit as good as the Nforce2 400 which had dominated socket A for so long, it's a shame Via didn't have this product ready a year earlier as it would have given users a real alternative at that time to the NF2.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Biggest thing to keep in mind is Corsair stands behind everything they sell with a lifetime warranty. And so does Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial, Patriot, OCZ, etc.

That said, look for a bios update for your motherboard. This sounds like a compatibility issue that is usually resolved this way.

Its not a compatibility issue, as ive already said what the problem was. This was not a post in finding the problem but in finding the quality opinions of corsair quality. As I said the one good chip runs just fine without any problems. Bios is updated to the newest version. Also as I stated the ram is compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back