Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying/Moving data from one database to another in SQL Server 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kel1981b

Programmer
Jan 3, 2003
US
I am not DBA Person [sadeyes] but need to do that :-(. How can I Copy/Move data from table in Production Data base to the same table in Test Database? Is there some tool/option in SQL Server 2000. Need help ASAP. Any help will be highly appritiated.

YOu can use DTS or the import Export wizard or write a stored procedure to do this depending on your needs. If you are new to this the Wizard is probably the simplest way. Right click on the tablename in Enterprise Manager and select All tasks and then Import or export data and then just follow along with the wizard. You might read about this subject in Books Online for mored etails on the process.

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried to use DTS and had some problems. For example. I need to migrate data to MyTable. This table realted with TheirTable. So I must update both tables. I could not find DTS options to do that. I am sure that I missed something but I do not know what.

Generally that is a problem of the order in which you import the tables. Import the main table first, then the related table and the problem should go away, unless you are letting the system create it's own identity values inwhich case they may not be the same as the ones in the production tables and thus the related records will not match up. Usually if I am importing data from production back to development or testing, I will enable the identity insert on so I get the same identity values in all the tables that production has, making it less of a problem to import related tables. That is an option even using the wizard if you look at the actaul transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back