Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob2102

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
I have 2 drives that I use. One is the I drive which is an external CD-RW and the other is a DVD-RW. I back up files from the CD-RW to the DVD-RW. On the DVD-RW the files always turn out as "Read-Only".
How can I have the transfered files to the DVD-RW be archived so I can also write to them? When I do try to write to them now it always comes up "Read Only". Is there an easy way?
Thanks

See if these explain why? The only way around it may be to copy files from the DVD to the hard drive, make your amendment, and then copy them back to DVD. Perhaps you should look at some external hard drive as a backup media rather than the less flexible CD or DVD?

HOW TO: Remove the Read-Only Attribute While You Copy Files from a CD-ROM in Windows 2000

The Archive Bit Is Not Set When You Copy a File from a CD-ROM to a Disk

Linney...I coped a folder from my CD-RW dosc to the ecternal hard drive I have. I chenged the "read only" to archive and clicked apply. When I went to check again it said "read only" and then it said "archive". So both things were checked

Am I understanding properly, you are looking to use a DVD-RW like a diskette, i.e. overwrite existing files on the DVD? If this is the case, then you are probably looking for features given by packet-writing software.

Also look for DLA (Drive Letter Access) software.

Yes, packet-writing is a fancy term that describes formatting. You have to format the DVD-RW in such a way that you can write and erase on the fly. Windows does not include this feature, but you can use 3rd-party software like Nero's InCD or Roxio's DirectCD (both may be called something else now, but those were the names a couple years ago).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Hi

I have Roxio EZ CD Creator 8 software and it will format the disk so that it will act like a hard drive, (a lengthy process) but it does do what you want.

Mike

When you mention Read-only are you talking about Folder or File Properties on your External Drive? Read-only has different meanings and actions for Folders than it does for Files.

Why can't I remove the read-only flag from a Windows XP or Windows 2000 folder?

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

A copied file or folder may not retain its original file or folder attributes on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

Removable storage devices are not recognized after installing Windows XP SP2

Thanks everyone for your answers. I have Roxio 7.5. What I wanted to do is copy 1 cd-rw disc to a dvd-rw disc. When I copied it the DVD-RW disc became read-only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back