Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy large file (70GB) over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianvasile

Technical User
Apr 3, 2006
US
I was wondering if anyone had any issue similar with this. I have SBS 2003 Server and every week I use the Backup Wizard to generate a complete FS Backup. My goal is to duplicate that file to another system as a precaution. The file is about 70 GB and i tried to copy it using scripts, normal Copy & paste and even RoboCopy - it always end with "insufficient system resources to completed the request".
Is there a limit on the file size that can be copied?

thank you.

Did you try FTP?

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I don't have an FTP server ready and even if I do it will probably take weeks even if it is local.

I do something simular with FTP its a local transfer at 100mb and its only 5gig but it only takes about 12 minutes to get from one server to the other. If your case is a local transfer and you are gigabit, probably wouldnt take as long as you think. Or you could buy 2 or more external USB drives and backup to that, then just rotate the drives. Just ideas for you.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I guess that the FTP server will be my only option. I wonder though if there is a limitation on the Copy operation in Windows - I still cannot figure out why is giving me the error message.

Well a quick google on the issue provides a plethora of ideas, a notable workaround is copy /Z.

RoadKi11

I know that but the file will be copied to a different server. I don't want the other server loaded with extra software.

I can understand that. Just so you know, it's an extremely small footprint. Mine is using 7MB disk space and less than 5MB RAM. Pretty minimal for sure, definitely not a load...

You are right but then you have all the registry entries, ports etc.
I rather try the /Z option first. I am doing it right now. It is amazing that after so many years Microsoft still has these kind of issues.

It is crazy for sure. I'm curious to see how the /Z works out, please make sure you post your results.

h

it did not work. It fail at about 93% after all 10 retries were used. Here is the error message:

2009/06/16 16:35:14 ERROR 1450 (0x000005AA) Copying File \\server2003\sbsbackup$\Backup Files\Small Business Server Backup (01).bkf
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

ERROR: RETRY LIMIT EXCEEDED.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras
Dirs : 1 0 1 0 0 0
Files : 1 0 0 0 1 0
Bytes : 64.701 g 0 0 0 64.701 g 0
Times : 2:32:20 2:27:20 0:04:59 0:00:00

Ended : Tue Jun 16 16:35:14 2009

I'm assuming you've checked and there is sufficient room on the destination hard drive to store the additional 70GB?

What a great question withanh.

Might want to check this out also, i know it says during a backup and you are just moving a backup but i think the underlying issue is the same. The file is so big its exhausting your paged pool memory... Read through it, the symptoms are the same and solution is pretty simple.

RoadKi11

I am copying the file to file server (1TB space left and as i said I really don't want to mess with registry and other programs on the server just to get this going. There is really nothing running on the server at that time - CPU is about 5%

I know you're hesitant to mess w/ the registry but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Have you tried RichCopy, works better than Robocopy.
(Free Utility: RichCopy, an Advanced Alternative to Robocopy).

Alternative you could set up a copy job via BITS and use it's ability to throttle or limit the network bandwidth that BITS uses for downloads or uploads.

BITS to manage file distribution)

I will try to increase the retry option of Robocopy to 20 - it failed at 95% so I am asuming that 20 will do it.
If that doesn't work I will try the alternative software and lastly the register.
It will run tonight - I'll let you know.
Thank you all for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back