Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contract woes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickIRL

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
Hi all

Hope you'll indulge me here. I've been on contract with this company since April 2003, originally started as a 3-month contract but kept getting extended.

Now I've been told that I will be extended until October, happy? kinda. Thing is, I am the only Crystal Reports resource and there hasn't been that much work for me for the past month or so. I'm ending up working a 3-day week.

I'm not sure what to do, stay here and stagnate (no room for expansion) and dwell on it or just see my current contract through, which is end of this month, and call it quits.

The market here isn't really busy and it could take a while to secure another contract but I'd almost rather that than be sitting here stewing. Another factor is that I'm working 250 miles from home so I only get to see my partner each weekend for a few hours.

I know it's a long post and it's sounds like I'm moaning (probably) and just need a good kick in the a**. Anybody got input on this??

Regards,

Patrick

Where I work, I have the most Unix experience, am the most qualified, and provide the most (all really) recommendations to improve the environment.

Yet, the manager has a pet, and gives EVERYTHING to her, even though she has less experience than me. Though she thinks she’s all that and a bag of chips, she really doesn’t know a whole lot. She sits there all day and messes around with an application that is not a full-time job, but is rather part-time, and has the manager believing that she is soooo overwhelmed. She couldn’t even get into a grad program so started the online schooling! She acts like she is soooo overworked and acts like she knows EVERYTHING!! What a joke.

The manager even has said on a few occasions to me, “I know there isn’t a lot to do right now, but…” So I sit most days with nothing to do, which is not for me.

Hoping an opportunity arises soon to keep me from going insane.

redsmooth,

Having recently been somewhat in your position I know and understand the frustration you must be going through. Unfortunately it isn't an easy decision to make. If you are billing at a premium rae and have been able to sock away a nice chunk of money then the ability to not take the extension and devote your efforts to locating a new contract or FT sot may be the best to do. Depanding on the provisions in your contract at the length of time it may take to secure new work it may be in your best intrests to take the extension and in a few weeks start working on secureing new employment.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

redsmooth ,

If you are able to catch the business you are contracting for *before* you sign on for an extension, you may want to consider the following;

1) Negotiate any sort of mininimum wages into the contract. In other words, get the employer to pay you at least $x per period. Ensure the amount makes it worth your time to stay.
2) Remember that you are helping them out, and that your services are valuable. Use this as leverage to make a living.
3) If you sign an extension, then ensure that your needs are met. Build yourself in a raise, as well. Remember that labor budgets go up annually at least, so ensure you are following that trend.
4) Negotiate carefully. Let the people know that you are happy to provide a valuable service, and would like to continue doing so provided your needs are being met as well. Contracting is a 2-way street; you give them something they need and get what you need. If either condition cannot be met, then you move elsewhere at either your behest or theirs.

Look for another job if you are still unhappy. Pick up some more contract work or get something full-time if you can.

Good luck!

~wmichael

"small change can often be found under seat cushions

Why not use the other 2 days of the week to prospect for a new contract?

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Definitely have been in a similar position and you have my condolences. I currently am working 3 hours from home but enjoying the paycheck. I am not clear on whether you mean you are only billing 24 hours or only busy 24 hours a week. Good advice above if you are only being paid for a partial week.

If I were you, I would see if I could negotiate an official 3 or 4 day work week so I could spend the balance at home when the work load is light. You can see your partner longer and also search for a better position while still paying the bills.

No, a kick in the posterior doesn't make life on the road any better. Count your blessings; put a picture of your partner where you can see it each day. It will help you remember what is important and why. [yinyang]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8i & 9i - Windows 2000

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

MDXer & wmichael:
I wish it was as easy to pick up another contract but the contract market it very quiet at the moment, even full-time positions are few and far between. (FYI, working in Dublin, Ireland, living in Limerick)

chiph:
That's what I spend most of my time off doing but as pointed out above, things ain't that busy

BJCooperIT:
Yes, I only bill for the days I work. To be honest the money doesn't matter that much to me, I'd rather have an interesting job where I can lose track of time (ahhh, I remember it well!)

I've talked with my partner about this and he says I have to do what's best for me. Still I can't help feeling that if I terminate this contract I'll be "giving in" and letting myself down.

Time to think some more on this, again thanks for the input.

Patrick

Limerick... if you are commuting anyway, why not consider commuting to South of England? I work for a corporation in Bristol and we use many contractors. Most of them live outside Bristol, many commute by plane. The contract market is not very lively at the moment, but may be more so than Ireland. It might be worth looking to see what SE England airports you can get to easily and cheaply from Limerick, then seek contracts there.

LesleyW:
Thanks for the reply. I have considered this in the past but there is always the voice in my head that I could be taking someone else's job.
I know, contractor and conscience, some would say its an oxymoron!

Anyway, funny how things work out, had a call from an agency about a 6-12 month contract, VB and Oracle with .NET training. So yep, I'm going for it, see what happens.

Take care all,

Patrick

redsmooth,
If it helps, any job you take was, potentially, someone else's job. Hope you get the contract.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8i & 9i - Windows 2000

It's kind of funny how contract work goes. When my last contract ended I immediately had 2 companies with contracts available contact me, neither would have been profitable for me to take so I passed and the calls stopped. I opted to take a fulltime job locally. That was about 4 months ago, suddenly I am getting calls for contracts various companies would like me to take, 4 contacts this week.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

redsmooth, hope your alternative contract comes through, but here's some advice if it doesn't...

Do not carry on like you are till October. If the client only has enough work for you three days a week - get them to contract you for three days a week (making it clear that, presumably, you'd be willing to extend back to 5 days if required). You say you aren't too bothered about the money, so enjoy taking 4 day weekends & seeing more of your partner.

If they want you to be available for 5 days a week, they should pay for it. It's not reasonable to expect you to rule up alternative work and/or leisure opportunities on the off-chance that they might have work for you. One of the strengths of contract work is that you can negotiate terms to suit the situation in hand, rather than fitting into some personnel department strait jacket.

-- Chris Hunt

Thanks Chris, will take in to consideration. Further update, interview Thursday for other contract !!!! Woohoo!

Patrick

Ok, I know I'm coming in late for the party, so to speak; but this is really something...

You live in Ireland. So those of us who live in Texas can't clearly see what you're complaining about in the first place... ;-)

The life of the consultant is determined by marketing. And you may want to look at how you're doing that.

Similarly, you may want to look at fixed price contracts based on scope of projects... something that would allow you the liberty to do your work in one hour or 40 per week for a price that meets their needs (look at for more ideas).

Good hunting!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Patrick - I feel for you.

Consider expanding your horizons. Use your existing skill set to move in a different direction.

You obviously are an expert at Crystal Reports. What similar technology uses the same skill set? What newer technologies are replacing CR? For example -- Oracle, SQL and Access report writers. Same skill set, but different platform - horizontal move. This type of skill set should be fairly easy to develop.

Vertical move. What can you add to Crystal Reports to add value to your work? A little tougher for me to think of ideas - perhaps adding a front end or back end to the reports.

Although you work far from home (250 miles -- what a commute!), you may be able to pick up work on consignment or contract where you fill-in your 3 day week at the customer's site with "other" work.

What you ultimately want is to...
- develop a larger skill set
- increase the flexibility in what you can do
- which will give you more flexibility in where and for whom you work for.

Hopefully, your partner is upportive. The current situation does sound pretty stressful Good luck!

Richard
(yes I am back after how many months??)

Update:: I finished the contract last Thursday, decided not to extend. I have holidays (vacation) planned for 3 1/2 weeks in May/June. So I'm going to enjoy the time off and not consider any work until I get back.

Funny though, since I decided to take a hiatus, I've never had so many calls from agencies. Starting to get busy out there. I know a few of you might not agree with the idea of not going for interviews etc. but my instinct tells me I need to do this and it's never let me down before.

Going to use some of the time to get into .NET and mess around with that.

Take care all,

Patrick

Hey isn't it always the way. I for one agree with going for your gut.

All the best

Lesley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back