Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temp Agency Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
I called up a Temp agency (Just call them PersonPower) and specifically told them that the reason that I was calling was to get a job in the IT department of a major hospital, which hires through their agency.

So, they told me that the hospital had a hiring freeze on, but could I go and work at a local shop who needed a programmer.

So, I go to this local shop... I've been there for 3 months... and they pretty much love me. Which is great.

They want to hire me.

Now, here's the skinny.

PersonPower is paying me $15 an hour, and charging them about $23 an hour.

I'm not making it on $15 an hour.

The company wants to hire me, and offered me $43K a year to start.

The company then called PersonPower, and PersonPower told them that they wanted OVER $7000 for a buyout!

So, this is putting me in a quandary. I feel as if the temp agency (btw, I have not *cost* them a dime... I didn't take their insurance, I didn't take any of their training... for 3 months, they have made money off of me)... anyway... I feel that the temp agency is WAY out of line by wanting what works out to about 25% of my annual salary for a "buy out".

Meanwhile, to compound things, the temp agency just recently changed their policies on paid holidays, and expect me to work 1800 hours minimum a year to get holidays (Christmas, New Years day, etc) off with pay. That, in itself, would be enough to make me tell the temp agency to stuff it... however, if I tell them to stuff it, then go to work for the company that wants to hire me, they could be in breech of their contract with the temp agency.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

The temp agency is hosing me from getting a good job... but they're not paying me enough to make ends meet. WHAT DO I DO?

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

[Sigh]

Well, the temp agency came down to $5000.

The company said it was still too much.

I feel... well, I feel that I'm being told "Oh, sorry, you're not worth it."

So, my resume is still out there.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back