Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

console connection to MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfaucett

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2019
US
We have a Norstar NT7B53 MICS, and I'd like to get console access - the terminal where you type "ld 22" for example. I know about serial connections, PuTTY, etc., but I can't seem to find the info on how the connection is actually made to the PBX, and I don't see a D-sub serial port anywhere. Where is the connection made?

You will need to start with a RAD unit, it has a db9 on it to connect locally and uses a digital station port. Then you will need Norstar Manager and or Norstar remote utilities depending on the software version on the MICS. It's been a long time but I believe you can get a db9 to ethernet converter to get it on you network.

There is none. Programming for a MICS is done through a telephone.

Marv ccna

Wow, what a great forum - I didn't expect a response so quickly for such old equipment, let alone two on a Friday! That makes me feel better about keeping this dinosaur going while we figure out what to replace it with.

phoneguy247, I do have a RAD on order from ebay, but this made me think that it's for backing up rather than providing a console.

allworxguy, does the console only exist for CICS or some other product? Or is it provided by another module? We also have an applications module, 12x0 and 0x16.

Remote programming through a RAD requires a modem connected to the RAD and Norstar Remote Tools running on the remote computer.

Or you can use a PC running Romote Tools on your network connected to the RAD's serial port and some desk top remote software such as PC ANYWHERE.

Depending on the version of MICS you might need a FastRAD.

CICS has a FastRAD built in if the keycode to activate is installed. Otherwise you need the external unit.

Marv ccna

I don't need to do anything remotely - I can do the standard stuff from a real phone on site. I'm trying to figure out how to get this - everything I've found so far tells me about commands and what they do, but how to establish the console in the first place seems to always be assumed knowledge.

That's not a Norstar. It's a CS1000 or Option. different system.

Marv ccna

Go into Maintenance in programming and get the System Version / SP code then cross-reference it here and then reply to this thread with your version.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

allworxguy, the narrator says "...the commands would be the same for just about the whole PBX family...," which I assumed meant Norstar/Meridian also. That, combined with the fact that all of the references to "ld" commands on pbxbook.com are under the Meridian category made me think this console existed on most of these systems.

Firebird Scrambler, good idea - here are some photos.

curlycord, it reads "SP: 30NdG15 NAT," which I guess means MICS 4.1 G15?

all-closed_h9zf09.jpg

all-open_pkxbbm.jpg

applications_niaaku.jpg

mics_1_x02kdl.jpg

mics_2_sys4bv.jpg

Yes that is MICS (0X32) with 4.1 software

Norstar is considered as a KEY system but has PBX capability.
Meridian is the older name (Meridian Norstar) now called Nortel Norstar, just Norstar does the trick.

FastRad part #:
NT8B80AAAD

Cable part:
RS-232- 9 pin Male to 9 pin Female - Straight Through

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The FastRad I have on order is NT8B80AAAB, not NT8B80AAAD, so hopefully that will still work. It should be here on Friday and I'll see how far I can get with it. Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I just tried installing it on XP service pack 3 (32 bit) and it stalls during installation, with the "Setup.exe" file the installer puts in /Windows/temp running in the background. I thought I had read somewhere that it works on XP. Perhaps it requires a connection to the FastRAD while installing, though I doubt it. Going to try to resurrect a Windows 95 machine next. I downloaded NRU 11 from here.

NRU 9 to 11 definitely work on XP. I have a copy of 11 running on the PC beside me that we keep around just for NRU purposes. It does not work on Win7. I don't know about Vista because, well, Vista (shudder).

I don't remember having any issues installing when I rebuilt it a couple months ago (hard drive failure, ouch).

-Qz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back