Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting with Access or Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

luceze

Programmer
Apr 26, 2001
US
I can connect to every table but the Customer, JrnlHeader, and JrnlRow tables. I get an ODBC error when trying to link to the customer table. I can link to the jrnl tables but the data just shows #error in every field. Has anyone seen this before?

Win2K
OfficeXP

How are you establishing the ODBC link? I've tried Pervasive Btrieve without success.

Bill Chambers

see faq641-2108 for connecting with Access.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Hi dg,

Yeah I read that. Have you gotten the ODBC connection to work based upon those instructions? I have not. If there are more detailed instructions available, I'd sure like to know. (There is always the possibility I'm being dense. <g>)

Bill Chambers

Connecting via ODBC was easier then I imagined. The only thing you do is install a recent copy of Pervasive SQL. I'm using Pervasive SQL 8 Workgroup Engine (which costs $25). Once that is installed go to your ODBC control panel, click the system tab, then add a new connection. The driver to use it the Pervasive Engine (not the client). Call the connection whatever you like, then create a new database...browse to your ddf files. Mine where in c:\peachw\ under my company folder. That's it I believe. Ok out of there, and it's ready to go. Enjoy!

Hi Flimpo,

Maybe I have the wrong version of Pervasive... I've ordered my copy of the Pervasive SQL 8 Workgroup Engine.

thanks,

Bill Chambers
Fairfax, VA

Hi Flimpo...

Right on the money! Just installed P SQL V8, followed your steps and it works great!!!

thanks,

Bill Chambers
Fairfax, VA

Hi Luceze,

Your original question about accessing JrnlHdr, JrnlRow and Customer: I just installed Pervasive SQL V8 (as you gather from earlier in the thread) and I am able to acees all tables (except Linetems when I try &quot;SELECT * ...&quot; -- to many fields).

One nice thing about the Pervasive SQL V8 Workgroup Edition is the SQL Datamanager that comes with it. The SQL DM allows you to query the tables directly.

Bill Chambers
Fairfax, VA

I'm going to order that right now. Just one more question. Does the software need to be installed on the server where the data files are or just on the local workstation?

Hi Luceze,

I beleive it needs to be installed on each workstation.

Bill Chambers
Fairfax, VA

Hi, dgillz
Did you try to delete or change anything in PT tables? It is easy to try just write delete or update statment in Pervasive SQL Datamanager. Problem I had that I was getting error message (error code 46 - Access denied) Any idea how to bypass it?

When you set up the ODBC DSN, make sure it is not set to read only.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Hey dgillz,

Everything was working fine until today. Now I get BTrieve error 51 on every table but the company table saying that the owners name is invalid. Do you know if I accidentally changed a setting or something?

Luceze,

Try posting this is the Pervasive and/or btrieve forums, there are some btrieve gurus there that I am sure can help you get this sorted out.

Hi dgillz
Yes, ODBC is not read-only. I suppose you never tried to modify (update/delete) in any PT table?
To luceze
I think you didn't change any setting. Before you were just browsing data in a tables and today you tried to modify records in tables and got error message. As far as I could find problem is in owner name. It is password that PT put on btrieve files. Through their ddf you can only see some fields in records of some tables but you can change nothing if you don't know owner name.

I download free copy of PSQl 8 and try to run. I can browse the ddf but don't know how to create the report. Anyone can help.

Are PSQL same with PAWCOM.

Regards

Hi All,

I followed the instructions and suggestions in this thread to successfully connect to a peachtree database via ODBC. However, I am experiencing the same problem as luceze with accessing JrnlRow. I get a locking error. The only time I can successfully access this table is when all users exit out of the peachtree application. Since I only need to query this table (no inserts or updates), is there anything I can do to be able to query this and other tables while users are connected via the peachtree application?

Thanks in advance.

Wow thanx a bunch...thats exactly what i was looking at.

Thanks, PAUL

nexpress,

did you ever figure out how to update records?

thanks,

-Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back