Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting with a i2004 from home

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbbikes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2004
US
I have the i2004 connecting at my office with full dhcp turned on in the set. DHCP in the BCM is set to server. I have specified through local scope my range of IP's to give out so it won't conflict wih my DHCP server on my network.

Lan 1 has an address from my networks DHCP Server and Lan 2 has a Static ip from my provider.

The question that I have is how can I get my users connectivity without them having to purchase additional network gear for the home side??

Also is there a way to reset a i2004 set to default status other than going in and zeroing out everything. Maybe a master reset.

TIA,
KB

If you have a dynamic setup at home, you might try setting up a DMZ address at home and assigning the phone to that address. Hopefully, your BCM will route the voice traffic between the published address on LAN1 and the LAN2 side.
You also might try adding a 2050 at home, building a VPN connection to the public address of the BCM, and then have your phone register to 10.10.14.1 and see if you have a voice path between the two.

What's a DMZ address?

I hate conceited people that think they are a good as me!!!

Not sure what happenned with my signature (not the original one I've been using for a while- I don't even know any conceited people).

Anyway, AlquestTech are you being serious about "Demilitarized Zone"? And what does that have to do with BCM's?

LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER THAN SOUND, WHICH IS WHY SOME PEOPLE APPEAR BRIGHT UNTIL YOU HEAR THEM SPEAK.

No problem AlquestTech. So does anyone know what a DMZ address is?

I'm not network knowledgeable, but I do understand the difference between a static and dynamic IP addresses, but never an DMZ address.

Thanks

LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER THAN SOUND, WHICH IS WHY SOME PEOPLE APPEAR BRIGHT UNTIL YOU HEAR THEM SPEAK.

If you set up a DMZ in your modem, you tell the modem to route any traffic it's not sure about through the IP address you specify as the DMZ address. That way you insure the voice packets get routed to the IP address of the phone. While general TCP traffic goes it's merry way.

As far as what it has to do with the BCM, The second half of my 1st reply was simply dealing with the routing inside the BCM itself. I have ran into a problem on one where the BCM didn't route the voice traffic back out accross the Published LAN when the IP phones were on the other LAN resulting in one way voice traffic.

Thanks guys but back to the original question!!

KB

I'll stick with my first reply. As far as the shortcut default setting, I don't know of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back