Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Telephone 400 pair MDF to Avaya IP Office Control Unit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emad Zafar

Technical User
Apr 11, 2022
SA
We have a new telephone system installation in a hotel building. The setup consists of analog telephone jacks connected to 40 pair telephone IDFs on typical floors and 400 pair telephone MDF in the server room. And this system is supposed to be managed with the Avaya IP Office 500 V2 control unit. How can I connect the MDF to the control unit? Are there any extra devices needed in the middle? I have attached pictures for reference.

WhatsApp_Image_2022-03-31_at_10.49.01_AM_bn8meh.jpg
WhatsApp_Image_2022-03-31_at_10.49.00_AM_1_lcc1b5.jpg
WhatsApp_Image_2022-03-31_at_10.51.08_AM_1_ae5hep.jpg

Are there any patch panels available from the patch cabinet to the MDF?

Seems like basic cabling needs to be done.

Really?

Cross connect the blocks to the IP Office ports.
Someone made a cut sheet for you, right?

That IPO isn't gong to do 400 analog extensions though.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

We usually hire a cabling guy for that job. Those are 25 pairs cable in your MDF. Basically you need to run a 1 pair for each color pair in the mdf going to your analog module slot/port.

Note that you can get voice patch panels which have 25 or 50 ports with connections to 1-3 pairs as opposed to network patch panels which usually have 24 or 48 ports connected to all 4 pairs.

I can't see the exact details in your photo but looks as though you have 3 x Phone 30 expansion modules and 2 x Phone 8 modules so 106 in total.

As stated by AACon you can not run 400 analog extensions on IPO. You can go with 8x Phone30s and 4x Phone8s giving you a max of 272 analog extensions. If you need to get to 400 you would have to network a second IP 500 V2 together with the one you already have and move some to the second box. Whoever quoted this made a big booboo.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

To be fair the Guy hasn’t said he is try to connect 400 analogue phones.

He was describing the existing cable layout that had a 400 pair cable terminated on the MDF

Oops ya that is my bad.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

This is how I did a similar job, you take 50 pair cable and put 30 rj45 ends on it. If they had room in the box with the MDF I would terminate them but with the space shortage I suppose you could just connect the other end directly to the MDF cables.

Expansions_bdca3q.jpg

ACSS,AIPS

I sure hope you did use the special 'hardwire' RJ45 connectors for the job.

(yes, they do exist...)

Seems to me like you did not use the original blue leads between the modules and IP500, becaus they're to short unless you put the IP500 in the middle

Probably because there's more than 8 expansion modules, so the base card on the right is a 4-port expansion card, which comes with the nice yellow 2 metre connection cables.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Yes, but even if you have only 8 modules, the standard blue cables are not long enough to reach the most remote expansion modules.
Therefor you need to place the IPO in the middle with 4 modules above and 4 modules underneath it.

1) Okkie, its not my system so only guessing.

2) The 4-port card comes with 4 long cables, only 2 in the picture, maybe the other 2 are at the back?

3) It looks a neat job to me.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

1) Okkie, its not my system so only guessing.
- Don't worrie. I don't blame anyone.

2) The 4-port card comes with 4 long cables, only 2 in the picture, maybe the other 2 are at the back?
- The longer yellow cables may only be used for the 4-port expansion card. If a module is connected to the back, you MUST use the original blue cables.

3) It looks a neat job to me.
- It sure as hell looks like a neat job.

Seriously, a system this large & they could not go the extra step of terminating to proper patch panels?

Glad I am not responsible for maintaining this

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

ACSS

How can I connect the MDF to the control unit?
I think you are asking specifically about the panel itself.
Off the the top of my head I would say that we need a close up of the panel(not the ip office)to make any determination on that.

Are there any extra devices needed in the middle?
If you are directly responsible for getting this done then reach out to a vendor for help.
If you are working under someone else it is their responsibility to get you what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back