Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting MICS & CICS via a LAN Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc321

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2003
CA
Hi all,

Here's the problem I'm looking at and was hoping some one here could help out!

I have a MICS System with extensions at one location, and a few buildings away I need to have more extensions of the same system (access to flash mailboxes etc.) Right now, the only thing connecting the two buildings is a LAN CAT5 connection.

What would be the simplest way to connect the two premises? I am also considering putting in a CICS at the second location and then using some kind of technology to connect the two KSU's. No T1 or PRI is available, or rather I think necessary ...what kinds of solutions would you recommend?

Thanks !!
Dc.

You could connect the 2 using a pair of MCK digital extenders 6000 series. They run over LAN using IP protocol and will allow you to hook up Nortel phones on the far end with all of the functionality as the near end. They come in 8 port and 12 port.

dc,
Salo's MCK suggestion works really well.

PhM

Thanks Arr!

I use them everywhere. They are the prefect tool for remote station location.

Thanks all, I'm looking at the MCK extenders for this option. Can anyone post some more details on how exactly they work/are configured? And also a rough cost on them since I've not seen them listed anywhere... I'm talking to a few distros but haven't heard back yet...

thanks again,
dc.

ps: If you need more then 12 ports, eg 20ports can these be stacked on the same 100mbit connection?

dc,
The MCK isn't cheap. You can find them refurbished. You can link several together... I forget how many... or you can run several in parrallel. They work on a straight IP platform but they also work REALLY efficiently on an ISDN platform. In fact the ISDN compression uses less bandwidth than IP.
You can run up to 8 N* sets on a single BRI all simultaneously. Usually an MCK switch has two WAN ports.
I found set up really easy and MCK tech support is REALLY good. Those guys have a great product.

PhM

Hey all,

Although I haven't gotten all the quotes yet, I've seen a few so far and this piece of equipment is definately going to be too expensive for our client.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper solution?? Some kinda equipment/hack that works??

Thanks again!

Dc.

dc,
No matter what you do it will be expensive. Long term or short term. Period. One option you might explore is dry pairs from your telco from building to building. Rental rates vary widely.
If you have one LAN connection, can you pull in a 25 pair on the same route?

PhM

What is the cost? Another alternative would be to use some VOIP hardware that tunnels FXO and FXS. They would probably be as much, if not more, than the extenders. You would also be stuck with analog ports at the remote location.

commsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back