Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting avaya ip office 500 v2 to a valcom page system 1

timbreck

MIS
Jan 11, 2024
US
I am fairly green on avaya and phone systems someone else configured and setup the system. We have an avaya ip office 500 v2 on version 9.0.3.0 that we are wanting to connect to the valcom paging system. The valcom installers weren't sure on how to do this on avaya, we have connected one of the avaya analog ports to the valcom system. I need to figure out the programming aspect in the avaya system and haven't really been able to find any clear instructions.
On the avaya I have connected analog port 3 to the valcom. Looking for advise on how to get it so that the users can dial a short code and it call the valcom then they put in the extension for the page groups.
Current analog extensions, I tried to create a new extension but could not assign it to the module or port like these two are.
1729701302784.png
1729701250819.png
I read somewhere about creating a new group but couldn't figure that out either, current groups. the page group just calls all the avaya phones on the system.
1729701388232.png

You will need to program the extension type as page port. Then use shortcode action of page to the group. If that doesn't work please post the valcom part number. Oh and you should use port 1 as you have highlighted.

You will need to program the extension type as page port. Then use shortcode action of page to the group. If that doesn't work please post the valcom part number. Oh and you should use port 1 as you have highlighted.
Ext 181 and 182 are being used for other devices, I was trying to create another ext like 183 that mirrors those but is on port 3 but have been unsuccessful at that. the module and port do not allow for any input
1729707504634.png

Assuming you arre connecting directly to the speakers instead of an interface such as a V-2003 and you actually have an available analogue port...

Click on the Extension / Analogue tab and change the type of connection to Paging.

Confirm or create a User configured for that extension.

Create a group with with only that extension and configure the group type as collective.

Create a short code to that group with Dial Paging as the feature.

Dial the code, wait for the beep, mnake your page.

You have a 2 port analogue extension card, you won't be able to "add" another port as it's a physical limitation.

Add another analogue card or swap out the 2 port card for an 8 port card.

It appears that the unit is a valcom vcs-3 if that helps.

1729771968225.png
1729771990045.png

Last edited:
Yes. You will need to replace the phone 2 card to get more ports. To be able to use the Valcom in a page group it will need to be an analog port programmed as a page port. You should probably remove the extra UC module from programming as well.

You have a 2 port analogue extension card, you won't be able to "add" another port as it's a physical limitation.

Add another analogue card or swap out the 2 port card for an 8 port card
So you are saying that this module really only has 2 analog phone ports 1-2? Would I be able to use port 3 to accomplish this or do I need to do this on port 2?
1729772051928.png

Port 2 if it is open. I thought you said they were both in use. The card it's self is configured by the components in stalled on it. All of the extension cards have 12 physical jacks. It is cheaper to make one basic design and then add electronics as needed. The 8 port analog card, 8 port digital card and combo cards all use the same basic board. On that board ports 9-12 are populated by a daughter card.

OK I have plugged the valcom into analog port 2 changed the classification to Paging Speaker, i assume this is correct?
1729779826535.png

There is already a user setup for this extension
1729779964773.png

When I add a group put in ext 182 it gives me a conflict error when I change the type to collective I get the pop up message that it will delete duplicate entries should I proceed with this?
1729780946984.png
1729780106562.png

I really appreciate the help so far!!!

Last edited:
The number you are assigning to the group conflicts with the analogue extension, use a different number. Don't worry about the duplicate extension warning, that is because you can have the same extension more than once in groups other than "Collective" so it will remove them when you change the ring mode.

I missed seeing the picture of the Valcom system. That is actually an intercom system. That is a whole different deal. It isn't a 'paging' system. It is designed to use a trunk port (not an analog station port) for access. It looks like it has a microphone input so there are things that can be done. At this point you need to pick a direction. Do you want to connect to it as a one way paging system or as a way to connect to the two way intercom system. Either way it is going to require more parts and probably more help than I could provide in an internet bulletin board environment. More than happy to point you in the right directions but this is probably better left to someone who can be onsite.

I missed seeing the picture of the Valcom system. That is actually an intercom system. That is a whole different deal. It isn't a 'paging' system. It is designed to use a trunk port (not an analog station port) for access. It looks like it has a microphone input so there are things that can be done. At this point you need to pick a direction. Do you want to connect to it as a one way paging system or as a way to connect to the two way intercom system. Either way it is going to require more parts and probably more help than I could provide in an internet bulletin board environment. More than happy to point you in the right directions but this is probably better left to someone who can be onsite.
What they would like to be able to do is pick up there avaya phone and make an all call to everyone in the building. Just one way communication. I can be onsite for anything that would need to be physically done, I just don't have a lot of experience with this aspect of the system.

I created the group and assigned it collective and extension 183, I tried the following shortcode *80 it just rings
1729783700118.png

1729783654817.png

Okay. So what you are going to need is to get an analog trunk daughter card. It will give you four analog trunks jacks 9-12 when installed on top of the phone2 card. These parts are not hot swappable. The one screw on the front of the phone2 holds it in the chassis. Takes a bit of force to pop the card out. The daughter card comes with standoffs and screws for attaching it to the base card. Once you reinstall it the trunks will auto populate in programming. Easiest way to set it up from there is assign the trunk to a unique line group. Create an Dial shortcode much like the one you have there except the feature will be dial, the number is going to be a dial code that the intercom is expecting... You would need to google the instructions for that... and set the line group to the ID you assigned the new analog trunk port.

Okay. So what you are going to need is to get an analog trunk daughter card. It will give you four analog trunks jacks 9-12 when installed on top of the phone2 card. These parts are not hot swappable. The one screw on the front of the phone2 holds it in the chassis. Takes a bit of force to pop the card out. The daughter card comes with standoffs and screws for attaching it to the base card. Once you reinstall it the trunks will auto populate in programming. Easiest way to set it up from there is assign the trunk to a unique line group. Create an Dial shortcode much like the one you have there except the feature will be dial, the number is going to be a dial code that the intercom is expecting... You would need to google the instructions for that... and set the line group to the ID you assigned the new analog trunk port.
so one of these?
1729785254332.png

much appreciations for all the guidance.

I'd like to point out that if you go with an analogue Trunk port for paging, you will NOT be able to page all phones AND loudspeakers at the same time. The Trunk that you use for paging will get a unique Line Group number and your short code will be Dial on that particular line group, It won't be an extension number that you can include in a paging group, that's the nature of trunk level paging.

@ttt It isn't a paging system it is an intercom system. It is setup by default to connect through a CO port. The only way you can do this kind of system as a programmed page port is to get a Bogen VAR1 to create a contact closure to activate the microphone input. And there is a good chance you would also need a Bogen WMT1A to take the signal down to a mic level input. I have done it before but it can be a nightmare to get setup and much more sensitive to noise and ground loop hum.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back