Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring a device requiring a Port assignment to a VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PcolaSteve

Programmer
Jul 1, 2011
US
I have created two VLANs on my Cisco 2950 Switch, one for my PCs and peripherals, and the second for a set of nine security cameras. The first VLAN is setup and running fine. My question is about the second VLAN.

Though it is technically set up and almost GTG, the cameras require that a port be assigned to them, ie. port 8011, 8012 etc. I have never configured any device onto a VLAN that required an assigned port number to them.

Is there a configuration that I am missing? For testing purposes, I changed the IP of one of the cameras to reflect the IP scheme for the first working VLAN, but could not even ping it.

The shortest distance between two points is NOT a straight line; it's through a worm hole!

The port they are referring to is a TCP port - your switch doesn't see TCP, all it sees are MAC addresses.

Do a show mac-address-list (or is it mac address-list?) to see that the IP cameras are on your switchports.

Your next step is to figure out IP connectivity - what needs to connect by IP address to/from the cameras, and how does this IP traffic get there?

If all your devices that need to communicate with each other on this IP camera network are on the same VLAN, then they will just find each other by MAC address (providing their subnet and subnet mask are all set correctly).

If they are on different subnets, then you will need to route to them. Your 2950 is a layer2 switch, so it does no routing. Where does the routing occur? Is your IP camera VLAN trunked to the router?

The routing is done via a Cisco 2621 router. I have two Vlans set up on this switch, both with different subnets of course. The first Vlan works fine as said.

The mac addresses do show up on the proper Vlan and have been configured with the correct IP addresses for this Vlan. They don't have to communicate with each other, but to set them up, they require you select a specific port for each camera.

Now, as previously configured with a different IP address when no Vlans were configured on this switch, they worked perfectly fine, but then I was going through a different router where port forwarding was set up. Here is a little better description of the topology.

1) Motorola 4457 router (port forwarding established)
2) Cisco 2621 Router
3) Cisco 2950 Switch

I am mainly using the Motorola for a it's wireless capabilities and as the gateway to the WAN.

The shortest distance between two points is NOT a straight line; it's through a worm hole!

The ports it is asking for you to assign (8011, 8012, etc.) has nothing to do with the switch...those ports are for your video surveillance software and webGUI management. I don't know what kind of IP cameras you have but most have three ports (Control, Video, and Audio)

so if you choose, lets say, 8080 for mgmt, 8081 for video, 8082 for audio...

Control - will get you to the webGUI
Video/Audio - ports will be used to be accessed remotely

your surveillance software only needs those Video and Audio ports if your server is off-site and needs port forwarding to see the Cameras.

If your server is on-site or your not recording the cameras, choose any port number around 8080-8380 to be safe...keep a record of which numbers you used...then disregard them as you won't need them unless recording off-site.

This is how it is with D-Link Cameras, Trendnet Cameras.

WHERE WAS MY HEAD WHEN I POSTED THE ORIGINAL QUESTION?

You are so right, this has nothing to do with the switch. I meant to say that the switch is connected to a Cisco 2621 router and I was unfamiliar on how to forward ports on this router. When the cameras were connected via another router, you could go in and open ports on that router, but I am not sure if this is possible on the 2621.

This is what happens when I don't proof read my own stuff! Does this additional information change the perspective as to what I am asking?

to port forward on Cisco IOS...

ip nat inside source static <udp/tcp> <inside local address> <local UDP/TCP port> <WAN interface name or WAN IP> <global TCP/UDP port>

example

router#conf t
router(config)# ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.2.100 8080 209.91.128.10 8080

this will forward all traffic directed to port 8080 of the WAN IP of the router to 192.168.2.100:8080

does this help?

Yes it does, and thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back