Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Mode Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyBa

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
I am having trouble getting more than 24,000 out of this modem. It is staying constant at 24,000. I used to get varying amounts from 19,600 to 28,800. I contacted my ISP and they say that "everyone" has problems with Conexant modems and to contact Conexant. The Conexant web site states to contact the computer manufacturer. The computer manufacturer won't talk to me (unless I want to pay out the nose) because my computer is 2 years old.

I can't understand why, all of a sudden, it is staying stuck on 24,000. I haven't changed or added anything new to my computer.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank you,
Cindy

Made any changes to your computer recently? Had any lightning strikes in your neighbourhood? Local strikes can upset the telco's dp boxes in the street. Are you plugging your modem into the master phone socket, or does it connect through an extension cable, secondary socket, etc? Try temporarily moving the PC so you can plug the modem cable directly into the master socket without other extensions, adaptors, etc., in line. Phone and extension plug and socket connectors can become dirty after a time, and induce noise or attenuate the signal. Try plugging a handset into the socket to which you normally connect your modem, "half dial" any phone number, and then listen very carefully to the earpiece. By "half dialing", the number won't ring, so you should have a totally silent line. If you can hear noise or crackles on the line, then this may be the cause of your problems. Get your telco to come in and rectify.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

What driver version do you have (ATi3 response)?
Does your ISP support V.90?
Do you have anything in the "Extra Settings" box?
Why do they say "contact Conexant"?
Are they totally clueless? Conexant make chips, not modems, and if they don't know that, it's time to change ISP's.
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I haven't made any changes to my computer. I don't know of any lightning strikes in my neighborhood. We always have noise on our line (hence the connection speeds of 28,800 or less). The telephone company won't do anything about it though because they tell us that we are 6 miles from the hub and that the farther out you are the less quality you get (and of course they aren't going to spend the millions to move the hub closer to me!) I tried to tell them that I shouldn't have to pay the same high rates as the people close to the hub if I can't get the same quality (but that didn't fly either!).

I would love to switch ISP's but the thought of the pain of changing my email address with everyone and every place would be a nightmare! We have put our email address out to so many different businesses that only contact us once in a while that I am afraid I wouldn't remember to change it with them and then they would get the "address undeliverable" message. (Do you know of a failsafe way to do this?...Of course that would be another thread...but a great one!)

The ISP supports V90 to my knowledge. I have +MS=v90 in my extra settings box.

How do I find what version of the driver I have?

Is the "master socket" any socket directly in the wall or do I have to run a line by itself directly from where the telephone line comes into the house directly to my computer by itself?

I tried signing on at another computer in a different room and it got 26,400 that day, that time. The perplexing part is the fact that the main computer won't sign on at anything other than 24,000 anymore. It too used to bounce around with every signon.

Thanks again,
Cindy

OK, you've narrowed down the options.
To get your modem driver version, go to modems in control panel, select the modem, properties, then the second tab (I forget it's name) and hit the "More Info" button.
What's the ATi3 response?
Master socket is the closest one to the phone box outside.
Putting +MS=V90 in the extra settings box does nothing, because your phone line won't support it.
Try this instead:
+MS=V34,0 Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Oh dear! What a dreadful telco you've got - Obviously the "Customer isn't King" as far as they're concerned...

I think you've told us the cause of your problems... NOISE! However, being 6 miles from the hub or exchange is simply not a valid excuse for a poor quality, noisy line! Use pressure on them to get it sorted. Do you have neighbours suffering the same problems as you? Look at what is geographically in between you and the hub/exchange - any firms or businesses that need to have decent comms? Anything likely to cause electrical noise, engineering firms, welders, radio transmitters, lines sagging badly, etc?

If noise is the answer to your problem, then it will only get worse as the telco's external DP and wire connections deteriorate/corrode with rain, weather conditions, UV exposure, etc.

Good luck Cindy - let us know how you get on.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

The second tab is "connections", but there is no "more info" button in it OR any mention of an ATi3 response. Where else should I try looking?

I did go into "advanced" here and change the extra settings to +MS=V34,0. I'll see if that changes anything the next time I reboot and get online.

As far as the noise problem. Everyone in the subdivision has noise but they (the telephone co.)won't do anything about it. Too bad there isn't a law that they have to provide clear service. It does get worse when there is rain.

I'll keep trying,
Thanks,
Cindy

Well Cindy, I'm even more firmly of the opinion now that your comms problems are external and nothing to do with computer settings, etc. Rain making it worse, clearly points to outside line and DP problems. Water can get into line connections and by electrolytic action cause corrosion between both similar and dissimilar metals, which in the latter gives what is known as the "rusty bolt effect". The build-up of corrosion can attenuate the phone line signals and cause rectification of electrical fields in the vicinity. The result of this is varying levels of noise on the line, and at worst unwanted reception of radio and TV broadcast stations etc., over the telephone system!

Cindy, my last comment is not a joke - I have personally experienced this kind of fault, but maybe some of the telecom guys who read this thread could comment further...

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

a noise on the line can also be caused by a bad phone on the line I would unplug all phones in the house and check your speed if higher replug one at a time until speed drops (replace that phone)

+MS=V34,0 did not change anything. It still connects consistantly at 24,000 and does not vary with any of the times that we have connected. It is the NOT varying part that makes me think that something else is also going on. Granted noise on the line keeps is lower than what it should be, but it the connection speed usually varied from time to time. Now it is just stuck.

Did you find anywhere else I could find the ATi3 response?(see earlier message for why it wasn't where it was supposed to be).

We will have to try the "disconnect" all the phones theory when my husband is home over the holidays. All my phones are in good shape, but you never know...it would be worth checking.

Thanks again everyone. I want to keep working at this until we fix it.

Cindy

I was still wondering if you still need to know the ATi3 response? I hadn't heard back from you where else to find it. It was not where you told me to look before. Did you find anywhere else I could find the ATi3 response?(see earlier message for why it wasn't where it was supposed to be).

We also checked out whether or not bypassing the lines in the house would help. I used the lap top to sign on in the house and it would sign on consistantly at 26,400 (while the main desktop would still only sign on at 24,000). We then took the lap top outside and connected it at the test port that gives you a line before it enters the house. The lap top still only signed on at 26,400 that day. We rarely use the lap top for getting on the Internet so I haven't tested the speed any other time than that day, but the main desktop is still only getting a constant 24,000.

While the lines keep the connection low, the speed should at least vary some day to day as it used to, but the main desktop stays stuck on 24,000 which to me means there is a modem problem too.

Is there anything else to try?

Thank you,
Cindy

The ATi3 should be in Control Panel, modems, properties, diagnostics tab, More Info button. (doing this from memory...)
ATi3 would tell me driver version and modem type (exactly)... Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Found it this time...it is 2.1.2.164.013.003.001

OK, that is a Rockwell/Conexant HCF modem chipset, and the driver you have IS a V.90 capable driver (although not the best).
Try driver 2.1.2.135b from my modems page. It is older, but more stable and uses less CPU time.
Instructions are also there for installing it correctly. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim,
I finally installed the driver for the modem that you suggested. I followed all instructions without any problem until the end where your last line was "Connect to the Internet!" I got an error 630 Port disconnected due to hardware failure. I tried to follow the diagnostics for this error message but even dianostics couldn't fix it. A little box popped up called OpenComm. It said it couldn't open the port and the only option was "ok". I verified all settings but couldn't find any thing to fix it. I finally had to reinstall the first drivers to get the modem to working again.

I did manage to get the telephone company out here to look at the lines one more time. They owed me a favor since they trespassed on my property when the cable company cut the lines last summer and the telephone company drove all over my yard and had to dig a hugh hole to get to the problem. They promised at that time to look at things and see if we could get a better line then. Of course they avoided doing this until I finally caught one of the semi big wigs answering his phone in person versus his answering machine. He sent out someone "different" than had been here before and this guy improved things a little. The desk top now gets on at 26,400. But we still have the same general problem in that it is STUCK at 26,400. Another computer in the house can now get on at 28,800, but this one won't budge off of 26,400.

Is there any thing else you can think of to try?

Thank you,
Cindy

Cindy, have you ever had either the desktop or the laptop running at near 56Kbps? If yes, did speed drop off suddenly or deteriorate over time?

Do you have a friend who lives nearer to your telephone exchange (hub), and who enjoys 56Kbps downloads? If yes, can you take your laptop and plug it into friend's phone line? This would immediately give you the answer as to whether it's the modem or the line - my money's still on the line!

Having said all that, an increase in speed from 24,000Kbps to 26,400Kbps only equates to 4%, but this IS apparently as a result of the telco guy working on your line. I think that tells you something... Keep at it Cindy - Nil Desperandum!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Sorry, 10% increase over what you had, 4% increase towards your target of 56K.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I think the whole neighborhood is the same. I took the laptop that gets 28,800 at my house to a friends and it gets the same 28,800 there too.

It is just a mystery why the connection speed that used to change from a day to day basis suddenly gets stuck on one speed (24,000 before and 26,400 now). Best Buy had a great sale on emachines this weekend and I think I will just upgrade to one of them and swear off IBM's. Of course, it won't give close to 56bps either with the telephone lines but I'm tired of messing with this one.

Thanks for the input everyone...at least it was a learning experience trying everything. The more we learn the better off we are later on.

Sincerely,
Cindy

Cindy:

First, if you're 6+ miles from the central telco switch, your phone calls are being routed through one or more repeater circuit boxes before the call gets to the telco, and those boxes are likely analog repeaters... more than two analog hops in a circuit path and your done with 56k connections (i.e. forget V.90, K56flex, X2... it isn't going to happen)and the modem drops down to the older v.34 protocol which means <=33.6 speeds.

Second, if the modem isn't dropping the connection, but just dials in and stays on forever at 24k, then forget about rain, line noise, etc., because that's as fast as the modem can determine it can run and obtain a reliable connection.

Third, and perhaps most important, stay away from EMachines!!! They generally have really cheap modems, e.g. PCTel HSP or worse, and then you WILL have dropped connections!!!!

In the country, the only faster option is satellite... check out DirecPC with dial-return (one-way) satellite and you can get 400+k download speeds, if speed is what you need.

Kirk

PS I run an ISP, live out in the country and 26.4k is typical for dial-ups in the boonies...

Hi Kirk,

Well it used to NOT just dial in and stay on 24,000 forever, it used to vary from 19,600 to 28,800 when all of a sudden it went to dialing in at JUST 24,000 and never varying. One the telephone guy came out it now dials in at 26,400 only. Hmmm....

As far as the warning for the emachine...too late. I just bought one a week ago. Much to my chagrin, it too has a Conexent modem. I moaned when I saw this but it is getting on at 28,800 consistently and occasionally 31,200 and the two machines share the same line as they sit next to each other. Maybe modems wear with age and lessen their abilities? I don't know but it sure is strange.

We have tried checking into DSL and cable but they aren't offered in my neighborhood. We've also checked in satalite but the cost was more than we thought for just improvement one way. For now, we are just living with things as we've checked everything we could to improve our chances of signing on at the best speed possible given our location. I still say if the phone company won't get us equal quality as the people near the main hub we shouldn't have to pay the same price but that will never change either.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back