Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Mode Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyBa

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
I am having trouble getting more than 24,000 out of this modem. It is staying constant at 24,000. I used to get varying amounts from 19,600 to 28,800. I contacted my ISP and they say that "everyone" has problems with Conexant modems and to contact Conexant. The Conexant web site states to contact the computer manufacturer. The computer manufacturer won't talk to me (unless I want to pay out the nose) because my computer is 2 years old.

I can't understand why, all of a sudden, it is staying stuck on 24,000. I haven't changed or added anything new to my computer.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank you,
Cindy

Cindy, you've got a Conexant modem in your new machine, but it's probably not the same chipset as the other. Some will connect better than others, and you're finding this out now.
Because the phone co. only guarantees a "voice grade" line, capable of about 14,400bps normally, that's all they're required (by law) to provide. If you don't get any faster, there's nothing you can do.
It might be an idea to check for other ISP's that provide service in your area. Even if you can try them for a couple of days on a free basis, just to compare.
Take a look around at and you might find that AT&T or Verizon (yes, the wireless people) can provide you with a faster connection. It's worth the phone call to find out. Depending on your hours of use, the wireless option might be cost effective, especially if you get a much faster connect rate, which saves you 50% of your online time. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

It could be your phone lines. Try this line test from US Robotics.
Using Hyper Terminal or any communications program, dial (847) 262-6000
When asked to login use "line"
password is "test"
Hope this helps,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back