Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer shuts down when Im in a Query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbgrs

Technical User
May 8, 2002
US
I am using access 97 on a windows xp machine. Everytime Im in a query my computer will shut right down. Its not just in one its in all. Any ideas??

I am developing Access applications using A97 and A2K2 on a machine running Windows XP, and your problem is certainly interesting but probably (hopefully) not that common.

Does it shut down on all queries in multiple databases? Are your queries created in code or created using the grid designer?

Does this happen on both Select and Action queries, or, only on one type?
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

It's typically one database that I create in design mode. Example...

I open access
click on queries
click on new
go into design view
add the table i want (typically only one table, but sometimes two)
drop in the fields for my query
hit run

the shut down always occurs after the query has been run and it's sitting open, much like a table. I'm scrolling up/down, reviewing information, pulling names to send an email to, etc. and then poof, computer shuts down.

Are you running multiple instances of Access when you run the query. Are you doing this from work or from home. Is there any possibility you have minimum memory on your PC?

Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

I have updated the latest xp service pack but I am running Office 97 SP1. I am not running multiple instances of access when running the query. I have a 20GB harddrive and 256k RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back