Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Runs too Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbbud

Technical User
Mar 20, 2009
US
I have an Emachine with a Celeron 2.7GHz processor, 80GB HD, 1.25GB Ram and Windows XP. I bought the computer about 4 years ago. I just cleared my HD and reloaded the operating system from scratch. I have roadrunner internet and it runs very slow when we go on the internet.

I was wondering if I installed Windows 7 and bumped my Ram up to 2GB if that would help speed up internet connection.

MLBBUD

honestly, I would not know if W7 would be of help here as it might or it might not speed up the internet connection. Seeing that your system is a bit underpowered to begin with, CELERON @ 2.7GHZ, no mention as to what else is in the system, e.g. Graphics card...

try this first:

TCP Optimizer

and start thinking more along the lines of UPGRADING the system to a more recent (new to 1 yrs. old) system, instead of upgrading RAM... imho...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

If the computer appears to run applications, wordprocessing etc., ok, then maybe try checking what's happening to your Internet connection.

Try to see what download and upload speeds you're getting.

You could also try a different browser - if you're currently using IE7 or 8, try Mozilla Firefox.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

MLBBUD,
Do you have a laptop or know someone that does that you can temporarily connect to your Roadrunner connection? Maybe it's not the computer that's running slow.

I definitely suggest you go to as the next step and see what kind of speeds you're getting.

How long does it take your PC to boot up? For your specs after a clean install you should be looking at 1 to 1.5 minutes at most. Of course, the more software you have loading at startup, the slower that's going to be. Installing Windows 7 is not the solution here. If anything, it will be more demanding on your system and will slow things down even more. I am a fan of Windows 7 but I suggest you upgrade your entire system before moving in that direction.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

So what is actually running slow? The Internet itself? As in it takes very long to load a page? Or the computer seemingly slows down in all areas when connected? It takes very long to do anytihng on the computer when connected to the internet?

What type of internet connection is it? DSL/Lan? Modem? Wireless?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Phil,
He mentions that it's Roadrunner. Just thought I'd point that out. Good points though. It would help to know what actions on the internet are slow (i.e. playing videos, loading pages, etc).

I really like CCleaner (fka Crap Cleaner). It lets you not only clean up temporary files, downloaded updates, registry, and so forth, but also allows you to see/disable/delete what is starting up automatically.

If you're going to invest in one thing that will speed up your computer, RAM is it.

Windows 7 (32 bit) will only see 3.5GB of RAM, but it runs well on that.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

gbaughma said:
If you're going to invest in one thing that will speed up your computer, RAM is it.

Your mileage will vary and really depends on the OS as well as how much you are upgrading from. For example, upgrading from 256MB to 1GB would see a huge gain. However, going from 1GB to 2GB would be rather small in comparison. Anything over 2GB is a waste on a 32-bit OS unless you are using a memory-intensive application that needs it (surfing the web doesn't count).

Bottom line is that I wouldn't run out and buy more RAM expecting it to make any real difference in this situation. You already have 1.25GB which is more than enough for everyday use in XP. That money would be better spent or saved towards a complete system upgrade.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Try SAFE MODE with Networking and see if there is any different result with internet speed AND general computer performance. If so, then it points to too much stuff starting on your computer when windows starts and possibly using too much memory as a secondary aspect of that. Also malware can cause huge slowdowns. Therefore:

1. CCleaner (as suggested)
2. MalwareByte's anti-malware for malware scan
3. Autoruns for startup items
4. Process Explorer - make sure that you are using more than your physical memory size. That will make it run like junk.

Have you done a speed test? Maybe your internet connection is just slow. Are you using Wireless? if you have poor internet speed, and using wireless, then you'll be slow. no amount of hardware or software will overcome a slow connection. cdogg has recommended a good test. run your test and post your results...

Tatertot45
CRCP
Network+
A+

what is the speed of the internet service you have ?
I would tell you to download( hijack this) and post the log file. This will show what is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back