Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer NOT starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulid

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
US
This has been asked several times, but my system does not start up at all. We are talking no fan movement etc.

Asus a7v8x and a AMD 2200+, with a thermaltake volcano 7+

Here is a list of things I might try to fix it, any more suggestions?:

1. change CMOS? anyone wanna help here?
2. Motherboard grounded?
3. Little "things from case" like power switch not in fully
4. Make sure the I is on in power supply and its plugged in externally

I am going to try all of this later, any other suggestions why I get no signal of life from the computer?

The biggest problems i have seen with no power has been ac outlets. be aware of what you share your 120v circuit with. winter time and portable heaters etc.

I tried 2,3,4 im not sure how you change the CMOS

I am going to use a different outlet/powerstrip thats all alone

You might find faq602-2731 useful. Good luck! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

no fans spin or anything

dead as a....dead guy

CMOS is not your problem. Are you sure the wire from the power switch is connected to the jumper on the motherboard and the power supply is set to the correct voltage if it has a switch to do that (some don't). The power plugs for the drives should have 5 and 12 volts dc on them, if you have a meter check that.

I live in America, so im guessing the 115 setting is the default it should stay at.

I am using Asus a7v8x not the A7N8x

No fan operation at all will be either bad power supply or motherboard. The power switch goes through the motherboard to turm the fan on. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR POWER SWITCH PLUGGED INTO THE CORRECT JUMPERS ON THE MOTHERBOARD.

Other than finding a blown fuse in the power supply, you can only test it (easily) by connecting it to another system.

Lastly, the most amazing thing you'll ever see with a PC, PLUG THE COMPUTER DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL OUTLET, NOT THE POWER STRIP. Sounds silly, but I swear I have seen this work. Also, TRY ANOTHER OUTLET, TRY FOR A DIFFERENT CIRCUIT.

Remeber the modo K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple & Stupid. Which means it is probably the simplest answer.

Also, has it ever worked? If it has, then ask, WHAT IS DIFFERENT? WHAT DID I CHANGE?

If it has never worked, check your setup's and connections.

Sean.

This is basically the first system I'v built. One question, is the white wire ground?

You're scaring me now. Which white wire? Housing wire could go either way. Never take the color for granted. You can bet tht Green is earth ground, but it's not certain the electrician connecting your home did it right. But usually White is the Return (not ground).

Now I have to ask which direction you are going in. Building your own PC should not involve home wiring.

Has the system ever worked?

Sean.

Ditto what Sean said.

Make sure your power supply is good first. If it is and you have no power, check your switch. If it is good, the problem must be with the Mobo.

color code for house wiring in the usa are;
black- hot
white-neutral
green-ground
you should have all 3 colors and on the correct screws on the outlet.

Lol, im sorry i scared everyone. I am trying to figure out these little case switch thingies like Hard drive L.E.D. and power switch. Using a Lian Li, do they all face up?

Simple question (doesn't look like anyone asked yet)...

Disconnect the PS from the mobo...does the fan in the power supply spin when you turn it on?

You'll definately want to determine if the PS is good or bad before looking at your mobo...

If the fan isn't spinning, use a digital multimeter and test the outputs from the PS to see if there's any voltage at all...

(and of course check your wall outlet :p)

Uh..... Fir3start3r, that won't work unless you are handy enough with a paper clip to get your ATX power supply to turn on when it is not connected to the motherboard (or you have an ATX power supply tester--this is the recommended method). Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

I'l try that, see if I can get one of those indicator thingies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back