Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer NOT starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulid

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
US
This has been asked several times, but my system does not start up at all. We are talking no fan movement etc.

Asus a7v8x and a AMD 2200+, with a thermaltake volcano 7+

Here is a list of things I might try to fix it, any more suggestions?:

1. change CMOS? anyone wanna help here?
2. Motherboard grounded?
3. Little "things from case" like power switch not in fully
4. Make sure the I is on in power supply and its plugged in externally

I am going to try all of this later, any other suggestions why I get no signal of life from the computer?

If you want to test out an ATX psu without having to attach a motherboard to it follow these steps:

Ground the PS-ON signal from the power supply, i.e. connect the PS-ON signal (pin 14) to ground (pins 3, 5, 7, 13, 15, 16 or 17). Usually the PS-ON is connected to a green wire, so you will have to conect the power suply's green wire to the black wire, through a small wire or an opened paper clip.

At Figure 1 you can observe the ATX power supply pin-out, so you can correctly locate these pins.

Remember that many times the power supply indicate correct voltages when tested with a multitester, but it doen't work well when connected to the system. The most usual defect of power supplies is the incapacity of supplying too much current. In this case, the values of the voltages will seem to be ok, but the PC won't work correctly (typical symptoms include ramdom resets and ramdom turn offs). So, the most secure way to test a power supply is by substitution.

Got this from Which I got to from
Starting to put a PC in the car myself.

Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back