Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer is freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickdrny

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
I have a pc
mach speed vt400
AMD 2400 processor
Nvidia G-Force fx5200 256mb agp 8x
sound blaster
xp professional

the computer was working fine until a few days ago when it started freezing, it will just stop working U can't move the mouse or anything (it doesn't shut down) the only way to do something with it is rebooting it...
I did install new software on the computer a couple of days it started doing that but after it started happening I made a system restore.
that didn't work.. I ran the msconfig and disabled almost everything on the computer it still keeps doing it... just a few minutes ago I completely erased the hard drive and reinstalled windows and it's still doing it so that takes away the posibility of it being caused by software...
I haven't installed any new components to the computer in a while... now my question is.. might this be cause by the motherboard, by the processor or what? I completely at a lost here

ooooh! also when I press to reboot sometimes it doesn't reboot right away I have to press it a few times and it has frozen even at reboot... I need help here guys

I'd suggest reseating all components .. mem , pci cards, cables... etc.
If that doesn't do it, drop to a basic system.. video .. single dimm, keyboard..
If still no help.. mem or ps would be my guess.
You could also try just booting to dos to see if the system will stay up.. if you don't have a boot diskette. or to get some diags to run.

could also be heat issue. maybe the cpu cooler/heatsink cant cool the cpu anymore. make sure the cpu fan is dust-free and is spinning at the recommended rpm (you can check this thru the bios).

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

ok gonna start doing that... I'll get back to U with the results thank u guys

thank U maultier, I did the reseating of the components also cleaned up the prossesor fan everything seems to be working fan... thanks guys for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back