Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Clock Slow 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gi2

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
CA
My computer clock is way slow. Whenever I set it, it only
takes a few days for it to get a few hours behind again. Do I just need to change the battery? My computer is only a year old- could it be that something else is amiss (the clock chip)? Could it be NTP (Network Time Protocol)? Thanks for your time!:|

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

Disable or uninstall NTP.
If that does not help, then replace the battery.

It is probably the battery, but if you us NTP correctly it would keep upating the clock for you. XP has one built in but it only checks once a week or so. There are lots of free "atomic" clock softwares out there. I used to use "Dimension 4".

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Geegers,
The big question is whether you are turning off/on your PC over the course of a few days when you notice your clock dropping off. If you are, then it definitely sounds like the CMOS battery or NTP.

However, if you are leaving the PC on constantly, then it something else. It would also help to know what version of Windows you are running along with more info on your network.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Some software (fancy screen savers, for example) can cause the Windows time not to be able to see interrupts which can cause the software clock to malfunction. Each time you reboot, is the time correct for a while. Or is it wrong when you boot up as well as other times? If it's wrong when you boot, then it's the hardware clock - need battery. If it's wrong after the OS has been running a while, then it's some software or other causing it.
.bh.
B-)

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Zepper could be right, the big question is what operating system is installed on your computer?!

If you have Windows 98 then yes the following can cause your clock to loose time.

1) Some Screen Savers and the Suspend mode in the Power Managment.
2) Running your system for longer then 24 hours at a time with out resetting or switching it off.
3) Failed CMOS battery or Chip. (will cause time loss in all operating system that uses a clock)
A Failed/Flat battery will also cause loss in customized BIOS settings
A Failed/bad CMOS chip will also cause your system to crash.

Step 1) Set your screen saver to none and the same for the suspend mode in the Power Management for the Monitor and Hard Drive.

Step 2) Set the clock to the correct time and don't run your computer for longer 24 hours at a time with out restarting it or switching it off.

If you still loose time after a week of use after following the top two steps then you might have a hardware fault and will need to take it in for servicing.

Goodluck...

Thanks so much everyone for all the input and my apologies for not listing my o/s CDogg. First, I am running Win2kPro. I rarely turn off my computer and I do have a fancy screensaver. Thanks so much Zepper!! I never thought of software. I really didn't think it could be the CMOS battery. I shall try switching off the screensaver. Just another question as well, if my internet lock enables (firewall) after a set time, could this also interrupt the clock? Thanks again everyone.

Geegers,
Since the problem occurs without rebooting, then the CMOS battery is not the problem. The CMOS clock is only synched with Windows clock during bootup or when you make a change in Windows. When left running, Windows will never query the CMOS clock for the time.

Like some of the others said, it's probably software related. Any software left running in the background that might steal CPU clock cycles away from the Windows clock should be looked at. This is particularly common on slower PC's (~less than 800MHz).

Try your best to minimize apps that load or run with Windows at startup. If you haven't done so already, grab the msconfig utility that was included in WinXP which can be run safely in 2000 from this site:

If you need more help in closing background programs, post back...

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Are you sure of this statement? "When left running, Windows will never query the CMOS clock for the time." Windows runs its own clock seperate from the bios clock? Never knew that. What process is that?

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Jontmke: Yes once windows (or DOS) loads it keeps track of the time by counting ~18.5ms clock cycles internally and never goes back to the RTC on the motherboard.

What happens when the system should go into suspend mode then?

Jon,
Yes, I'm positive about that statement. For a basic explanation of this concept, go to the link below.

andrew126,
I'm not sure if you've been following the conversation, but I suggest you re-read the above posts. You're suggestion would be correct "only if" time was being lost while the PC was turned off or being rebooted. See the link above for more info...

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Thanks all for the discourse. You have been very helpful. It was the screen saver!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back